Sandals Ocho Rios Jamaica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GTO NEMESIS

Registered
Reaction score
London, you know, fish, chips, cup O tea, Mary Pop
# of dives
50 - 99
I have booked a holiday to Sandals for 16 nights starting on 1st September 08.
Is there anyone else from here heading that way over the same period?

Venue wise I'm not really expecting the best diving in the world from some of the old reviews on here but I wanted somewhere my wife would enjoy while I go off diving 3 times a day so with a bit of luck this place will fit the bill.

Has anyone dived around Ocho Rios recently or stayed at the resort?

Thanks
Mark:)

Last edited:
Wow, 16 nights at Ocho Rios! I stayed there in 2002 and 7 nights was more than enough for me. Whatever you do, make sure you go the their sister resort for other dining or you may get bored eating at the same restaurants and same food. The breakfast was OK, but the Blue Mountain coffee they served was the highlight for the morning.
Back then I took the resort course because I was not certified. I went diving each day after passing the resort course. The dive sites we went to were nothing spectacular, not much life on the reefs. On the bright side, the water is clear and warm. Hopefully, there are better sites that they take the certified divers.

Enjoy your trip.

PS - if you are looking to surprise your wife, tip one of the bartenders and ask them to drop a bottle of bubbly at your room.:wink:

I will be staying at the neighboring Sandal's Dunn River from September 11 - 18 and plan to dive everyday possible. Maybe we can get together.

Are you going to bring any of your own gear or will you use the resort gear?

MaHai217

Hi, Yeah I would love to hook up out there. (Time for a profile copy and paste!)

I am taking the following with me:
AquaLung Legend LX Supreme DIN ACD
AquaLung Octopus LX
Suunto Twin console (CB-2 In Line/300/70 Combo)

ScubaPro Max Jet Fins
Mares X Vision Liquid Skin Mask (Blue/Clear)

AquaLung BC PRO XLT
AquaLung Wenoka Squeeze Lock Knife (Bolts to the BC)
O’Neil Firewall FX-5mm Boots
AquaLung Professional Tech Suit - Balance Comfort 5.5 Shortie (Unless I get a new one before hand!)

Rolex Submariner Bi Metal 300M
Suunto Vyper2

I will probably take my A Clamp adapter too.

Mark:)

I just got back from Ocho Rios a few weeks ago. The boat goes 2 or 3 times a day (am/noon).
they have night dives but you need the certification. The hotel boat goes about 500yds of the resort beach to a reef (40ft) that was,.... okay. Viz was forever, like being in the pool. Im sure you can find some other (better) places to go, they just wont be on the resort. :D

I will be staying at the neighboring Sandal's Dunn River from September 11 - 18 and plan to dive everyday possible. Maybe we can get together.

Are you going to bring any of your own gear or will you use the resort gear?

MaHai217

I ran the watersports at what's now Sandals Dunn's River in the 80's. I remember watching them dynamite the cliff to make the Sandals Ocho Rios beach area. Sandals Dunn's River and Sandals Ocho Rios are maybe 10 miles apart. They use different boats and usually dive different sites. You can catch the airport shuttle to get from one to the other if they come through at the right times, but it would generally not be practical to dive with one if staying at the other.

Sucba One Travel - Negril Jamaica Underwater photos

I just got back from Ocho Rios a few weeks ago. The boat goes 2 or 3 times a day (am/noon).
they have night dives but you need the certification. The hotel boat goes about 500yds of the resort beach to a reef (40ft) that was,.... okay. Viz was forever, like being in the pool. Im sure you can find some other (better) places to go, they just wont be on the resort. :D

Sounds like a typical Sandals then.
What wesuit did you use?
Can you recall if their tanks had DIN or A clamp?

I don't have my night dive Cert but i'm pretty sure I can do while i'm out there.

Mark:14:

Sounds like a typical Sandals then.
What wesuit did you use?
Can you recall if their tanks had DIN or A clamp?

I don't have my night dive Cert but i'm pretty sure I can do while i'm out there

No wetsuit, the water was like bath water. not sure about the tanks, but they have everything you need there.

Back
Top Bottom