Sandals Resorts and other All inclusives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RV:

That said, you can get all-inclusive in Cozumel and pay for diving for half the price of a Sandals. And you know the diving will be excellent....

While the price difference might be true, of all the places I've been, I've learned that at different places "all-inclusive" means many different things. this all differs per island and resort.

For example:
  • At Sandals and Couples, the diving is included, but usually only 2 single tank dives per day.
  • At most other places, inless specifically part of your package, diving is not included in all-inclusives.
  • At some places, all inclusvie only includes 'bar brand' liquors and beers. You have to pay extra or have the premium all-inclusive package to get "top shelf" liqours/beers
  • Same goes for high end items in some places in resturants. Like Lobster and Prime Rib. You have to have the premium package or pay a surcharge.
  • some places include motorized watersports (skiing, etc), some don't.
  • Some all inclusives have a stocked bar in the room that is part of the package, some have a mini fridge that you have to pay per item even if you're on the all-inclusive plan.
  • some allow or expect tipping, some don't allow it all.

just a few points/examples....

Mike (& others)...here's what I can tell you about Couples Jamaica:

For example:

• [*]At Sandals and Couples, the diving is included, but usually only 2 single tank dives per day.
    True. Most days it's 1-tank dives, twice a day. However, Saturdays they have a 2-tank dive. We got lucky and had another 2-tank dive on Thursday due to something going on in the afternoon.

[*]At most other places, unless specifically part of your package, diving is not included in all-inclusives.
    Everything is included at Couples, including the equipment if need be.

[*]At some places, all inclusvie only includes 'bar brand' liquors and beers. You have to pay extra or have the premium all-inclusive package to get "top shelf" liquors/beers
    Couples includes all top-shelf liquors. You will have to pay extra for upgraded wines with dinner though.

[*]Same goes for high end items in some places in restaurants. Like Lobster and Prime Rib. You have to have the premium package or pay a surcharge.
    Couples does not charge for lobster and prime rib in the special reservation-only restaurants. They do offer a private dinner, which they will charge you $150, but it's a wonderful experience! We did it this time after our vow renewal ceremony. Definitely worth it.

[*]some places include motorized watersports (skiing, etc), some don't.
    Couples includes Hobie Cats, snorkeling, water skiing, wakeboarding, etc. They don't include jet skis or parasailing, but you can easily acquire these services through private vendors who sail by the outskirts of the resort daily.

[*]Some all inclusives have a stocked bar in the room that is part of the package, some have a mini fridge that you have to pay per item even if you're on the all-inclusive plan.
    The oceanview rooms have a minibar...gardenview rooms do not, but there are 4 resort bars and 1 is always open and in easy walking distance from any room.

[*]some allow or expect tipping, some don't allow it all.
    Couples has a strict "no-tipping" policy.
Hope this helps!

mike_s:
While the price difference might be true, of all the places I've been, I've learned that at different places "all-inclusive" means many different things. this all differs per island and resort.
.... snip....
you don't have to tell me that..:D I had a report (that was lost in the crash) about the Coral Hamaca in the Dominican Republic. It was "all-inclusive" but.... in your room minibar you could have 2 cokes, 2 beers, and 2 waters. Anything more you had to pay for... Tipping was always expected no matter how crappy the service, drink, or meal was.... If you wanted good liquor or wine you had to buy it...:shakehead..
There was one restaurant that was not included and we ate there that last night.. My wife got food poisoning... never get the special..LOL

I was at Club Med, San Salvador, Bahamas (Columbus Isle) about 5 years ago and thought it was great.

The food was awesome and so was the diving. My only complaint was that my room was a bit "tight" but I'm sure they have larger rooms and suites.

Sy

av8er23:
I am starting to plan a honeymoon for April 2008. I have done lots of research and there are countless places to stay. The sandals resorts look nice but I have gotten a bad report from the St. Lucia one. I do not really want to go to Jamaica but Neagril Beach sure has some nice properties. So this leaves Bahamas and Antigua. Has anyone ever gone to these resorts that could share an experience?

We are definitely not stuck on the Sandals but they do include one two-tank dive per day, which is nice. We have defiantly made the decision to go all-inclusive and one of the most important factors is the quality of diving since we will probably dive every day. We also enjoy other water sports and are active people. Any recommendations or experiences will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks JodiBB for your review of Couples Negril. It's always great to hear positive reviews. We'll be going to Couples Swept Away in January for our wedding... which is all-inclusive as well, unless you want upgrades and/or private dinner/reception. We're going with a group (many of which are divers), but we're staying on for 2 weeks and are really ooking forward to the included diving! ...and the included cat. cruise on our wedding day, and the included golf.. and.. and.. and.... :)

Av8er23, My wife and I have been to Couples Swept Away 3 times with a 4th coming up in Dec, and each have about 35 dives there. The Couples brand is fantastic and their dive teams are top notch. While the diving is not fantastic, it is very good and some of the easiest diving you could ever do. Here is a link to our dive and topside pics. http://jontara.multiply.com

Jon

Jon:
Great Pix from last trip! Was that Anthony Morris you were diving with at CSA? An Old, Old buddy whom I havent seen in years. If he is still at CSA when you visit in December, please pass on greetings from Donn in New Jersey. Thanks, DD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom