sandy beaches in Bonaire / Klein Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Homunculus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
hi,
i'm going there with my wife, a 9 month-old, and my non-diving parents in November. the idea is that my wife and I will dive and my parents will take care of the baby while we're under water. we're staying in Den Laman's condo, next to Sand Dollar (Bari reef). are there any sandy beaches in Bonaire, in particular, close to Sand Dollar? i know there is a nice one on Klein but i'm wondering if there are a few places on the main island. we will have a car, so driving is not an issue.
thank you

Bachelor's Beach and Windsock come to mind. Further down the pink beach has some sand

There are few big expances of sand on Bonaire but there are a few small areas here and there. Shade is another problem. If you intend to leave people on the beach some shade is a good idea. Windsock is good, 1000 steps has some of the best shade and a reasonable beach, Old Blue is not bad...some shade and a very easy entry. I would also suggest you not get a car. One of the 4dr pickup trucks is a much better option.

thank you all for responding. we're renting a truck. i know i said a car, but it's really a 4-dr truck.

The sand at Bachelor's Beach often disappears underwater so I would not count on that. Donkey Beach (Windsock) has some sand and trees for shade and parking is easy. Plaza used to have a day pass for five dollars per person that allowed use of their beach and chairs. Not sure if they still have this so check first. Some of the far south dive sites have small sandy areas as well. For entry into the water at any of these hard soled booties will make it easier.

You can also utilize Eden Beach for 3 dollars per person for the chairs and utilize the beach. It is about 1/4 of a mile if that from Sand Dollar. As far as Klein, you can get a water taxi to No Name Beach. It has a great sandy beach and sandy entrance. It has a small "hut" that can provide shade, and a very small grill area.

Hope this helps.

Liz

I don't know if this would work, but on the other side of the island where windsurfing takes place, the beaches there look wonderful AND you get great entertainment watching newbies and pro's fly across the waters. Well, maybe the newbies don't fly. Crashing is fun to watch, too!

Also at Eden Beach there are some palm trees and a small beachbar/restaurant. Food is good and you can get out of the sun.

If the plan is to drop the folks/baby somewhere and go dive, Eden Beach or Plaza would be your best options. They're the only locations that have facilities/food etc...Plaza also has a big pool just off the beach.

Eden Beach is close so if they tired of it, they could walk back Den Laman. Here's a pic: http://www.panoramio.com/photo/873828

You could drop the parents off at Plaza on your way to the southern dive sites as you can drive right past it on one of the main roads going that way. You can even park in a dirt lot north of Plaza and walk onto their beach w/o having to drive into the resort.

There's a couple of small areas where there might be a sandy bottom w/o coral rubble or ironshore offshore. Some of Plaza's "beach" has sort of a rocky breakwater offshore. I think it's to keep it from eroding, I've heard it's manmade. There's a virtual view of it here.

Harbour Village just south of Eden Beach also has a nice beach but I doubt you can use it w/o being a guest. http://www.panoramio.com/photo/1969795

Lac Bay (windsurfers beach) is a good beach but not close to any divesites. Really shallow there. But the windsurfers usually make it impossible to swim.

I agree with reefdiva, my impression of Bachelors was more of a rocky area rather than a beach. And the jets are practically overhead on final approach to the airport...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom