Sangalaki trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MacHeath

Contributor
Reaction score
Just back from a fab week of diving in Sangalaki (East Kalimantan, Indonesia), a brief report:

Travel
Very well organised by the resort. We flew to Balikpapan, and were met off the plane by the resort's agent, who saw us on to the flight to Berau which took off only 45mins after the first flight landed. Met at the other end, with a mini bus to the boat and straight to the island. No problems. However, the boat was a tiny single-engined speed boat, and it takes 3 hours to get to the island. Very pleasant on the river, less so bouncing around on the open ocean. No radio/life jackets either it seems.

Resort
Quite nice, pretty standard beach huts, but frankly overpriced. The resort manager was not on the island (got the impression she had not been for a while), and the staff seemed not totally happy. I understand the resort is up for sale, and came away with the impression that the owners were not investing in it because of this. A shame really. There were only 4 guests for most of the time, so it was rather quiet.

The biggest problem was the price of beer, 6 USD. Basically we refused to pay (luckily had taken supplies of G&T). They even put the price up to $8 whilst we were there. They are not going to sell any at that price. Stupid really.

I'm also not 100% sure the resort should be there at all. The whole island is one big green turtle nest. Babies were hatching all the time, and mothers lay on the island every night, even underneath your hut. The resort partly pays for some turtle conservation guys, who record nest sites, the ID of the turtle laying, and move the eggs if they are in a poor location. The also patrol for egg/turtle thieves, and are totally happy to take you on a tour every night to watch it all happening. Great. Except clearly the tourists interfere with the turtles.

Before laying the turtles are very nervous, and any lights/noise can put them off. There are plenty of lights in the resort, and they ask you to keep them off, but clearly people will forget, or need to turn them on. Besides, if you wander around with no light, you will probably tread on a turtle.....

So swings and roundabouts really, no resort then probably nobody to guard the turtles, but with the resort less turtles laying due to disturbances.

Dive masters/boats etc
Several dive masters, and trainees, but only a couple with lots of experience. Most of the time 4 guests to one dive master, which was fine.
The boats are fast, and in good condition. Except the electric starters were missing, hence the boat guys got very fit starting twin 85's with a rope.
The resort people carried the tanks all the time.
We did 3 dives a day, 4 on the days with a night dive. All dives are boat dives as the reef is too far out to walk to. All Sangalaki dive sites are less than 10 mins by boat.

The diving
In a word fantastic. Mantas everywhere, we saw them in ones and twos during the dives, but when snorkeling we saw dozens. They ranged from large 3-4m width up to huge 5-6m sun-blockers. There were sharks too, mainly white-tips and leopards. And plenty of other stuff.

Some photos here: http://www.albumsnaps.com/index.php?content=folder&id=10304

Kakaban island is nearby, and is excellent (so good we saw it twice). The diving around the island was in strong currents, and there were lots of big fish to see. Barracudas, sharks stc. We had a bit of a moment, running into deco (and low on air) in a strong current, but nothing too dramatic. Sadly did not get a photo of the huge grey reef shark.

Inside Kakaban is the famous jellyfish lake. With clouds of non-stinging jellyfish, and other weird stuff. You can't always get to the island, as even a moderate swell stops the boat from leaving Sangalaki. Not really sure why.

Summary
Great diving, not so great resort. Fairly hard work getting there. There are other resorts nearby that are supposed to be better. However they are a long way from the Mantas.

Thanks for the report. Sorry about the resort and beer!!

Thanks for the update - Yes I had forgotten about the ridiculous pricing of the beer : ( How was food ? When we were there last year they ran short of supplies :(

frogfish:
Thanks for the update - Yes I had forgotten about the ridiculous pricing of the beer : ( How was food ? When we were there last year they ran short of supplies :(

Well maybe they are trying to discourage alcholism? :D I can't imagine anyone who'd expect food to be anything more than edible for such a remote place. Fresh seafood was alway available when I've been there. I concur that for what you get, it is overpriced, but given the remoteness and the locale, it's very much within what you'd expect to pay. Look at Wakatobi before/after their airport.
When I first went to Sangalaki in 96, it was just a unused resort since they didn't have the licence to run it yet. Over the years, bad management has taken its toll on the resort. It's a wonderful area to dive with Micronesia like spots (a bit of Yap and Palau thrown in). I do agree with Nick that the turtles are affected by the tourists, but in general they will lay their eggs after awhile. The best way to see them is actually use the nightshot (IR) cameras from Sony without lights... but my friends say it gives the tone of a Paris Hilton video! :wink:

frogfish:

The food was fine for me, standard Indonesian stuff, plenty of seafood. Guess you can tell I'm not a real Singaporean as I didn't mention food and shopping :D

MacHeath:
The food was fine for me, standard Indonesian stuff, plenty of seafood. Guess you can tell I'm not a real Singaporean as I didn't mention food and shopping :D

They no longer sell t-shirts ? :D

When I went there, I almost missed my flight because the staffs were so unorganized.
First, the boat got stranded. They have to push it to the ocean. When we finally be able to get into the boat (we paddled a lot too to get enough depth for the engine to run) and ready to go, the machine broke down so we have to paddle back to the resort. They have to change boat and fill the gasoline (getting the gas from the broken boat). And finally took off. In the middle of the ocean, the machine almost broke down too. What a nightmare!!!!!

The rooms in Sangaliki are very dirty and rotten.

But I agree with you that diving there is wonderful. Too bad they badly managed the resort. I suggest people who want to dive Borneo stay at Nabucco Resort. Very nice resort, nice staffs, nice food, and nice dives. They also arrange dive trips to Sangalaki, which takes about 30-45 mins using nice speed boat.

For those who are planning to go to Sangalaki, be careful. Last time, they had two generator. But one was broken (i guess for quite a long time too). So the only generator they had was working very hard to supply the whole island that they had to shut it off couple times during the day. I cant imagine what would happen is that one is broken too...

Oh, about unhappy staffs..we had a chat with the guy who took us to see the turtles. And he told us that since Sangalaki was obviously having a hard time making money, there was one time that they could not pay the salary for quite a while (probably 4-6mos). So I guess even now, the staffs would not making enough money anyway

MacHeath:
Just back from a fab week of diving in Sangalaki (East Kalimantan, Indonesia), a brief report:

Travel
Very well organised by the resort. We flew to Balikpapan, and were met off the plane by the resort's agent, who saw us on to the flight to Berau which took off only 45mins after the first flight landed. Met at the other end, with a mini bus to the boat and straight to the island. No problems. However, the boat was a tiny single-engined speed boat, and it takes 3 hours to get to the island. Very pleasant on the river, less so bouncing around on the open ocean. No radio/life jackets either it seems.

Resort
Quite nice, pretty standard beach huts, but frankly overpriced. The resort manager was not on the island (got the impression she had not been for a while), and the staff seemed not totally happy. I understand the resort is up for sale, and came away with the impression that the owners were not investing in it because of this. A shame really. There were only 4 guests for most of the time, so it was rather quiet.

The biggest problem was the price of beer, 6 USD. Basically we refused to pay (luckily had taken supplies of G&T). They even put the price up to $8 whilst we were there. They are not going to sell any at that price. Stupid really.

I'm also not 100% sure the resort should be there at all. The whole island is one big green turtle nest. Babies were hatching all the time, and mothers lay on the island every night, even underneath your hut. The resort partly pays for some turtle conservation guys, who record nest sites, the ID of the turtle laying, and move the eggs if they are in a poor location. The also patrol for egg/turtle thieves, and are totally happy to take you on a tour every night to watch it all happening. Great. Except clearly the tourists interfere with the turtles.

Before laying the turtles are very nervous, and any lights/noise can put them off. There are plenty of lights in the resort, and they ask you to keep them off, but clearly people will forget, or need to turn them on. Besides, if you wander around with no light, you will probably tread on a turtle.....

So swings and roundabouts really, no resort then probably nobody to guard the turtles, but with the resort less turtles laying due to disturbances.

Dive masters/boats etc
Several dive masters, and trainees, but only a couple with lots of experience. Most of the time 4 guests to one dive master, which was fine.
The boats are fast, and in good condition. Except the electric starters were missing, hence the boat guys got very fit starting twin 85's with a rope.
The resort people carried the tanks all the time.
We did 3 dives a day, 4 on the days with a night dive. All dives are boat dives as the reef is too far out to walk to. All Sangalaki dive sites are less than 10 mins by boat.

The diving
In a word fantastic. Mantas everywhere, we saw them in ones and twos during the dives, but when snorkeling we saw dozens. They ranged from large 3-4m width up to huge 5-6m sun-blockers. There were sharks too, mainly white-tips and leopards. And plenty of other stuff.

Some photos here: http://www.albumsnaps.com/index.php?content=folder&id=10304

Kakaban island is nearby, and is excellent (so good we saw it twice). The diving around the island was in strong currents, and there were lots of big fish to see. Barracudas, sharks stc. We had a bit of a moment, running into deco (and low on air) in a strong current, but nothing too dramatic. Sadly did not get a photo of the huge grey reef shark.

Inside Kakaban is the famous jellyfish lake. With clouds of non-stinging jellyfish, and other weird stuff. You can't always get to the island, as even a moderate swell stops the boat from leaving Sangalaki. Not really sure why.

Summary
Great diving, not so great resort. Fairly hard work getting there. There are other resorts nearby that are supposed to be better. However they are a long way from the Mantas.

red-lipped batfish:
thanks MacHealth...m going derawan in nov (i think)

Enjoy, we never made it to Derawan or Samama. I would warn you though, both Derawan and Maratua are quite some distance from Sangalaki, and the mantas are at Sangalaki. It is basically a half-day trip to go to Sangalaki from Derawan. So you need to make sure the people are well organised to take you, otherwise you risk missing out.

The mantas like calm conditions (flatter the better), so if you wake up one day and it is dead calm, I suggest you abandon all other plans and hot-foot it to Sangalaki.
We were there 7 days, and it was only dead-calm for 1.5 days out of this. The weather was very changable.

Lin4, I think most of the problems you experienced are (partly) sorted out now. When did you go?

Last year, Dec 2004.
I certainly hope they sort it out. They have so much assets on that beautiful island.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom