Sanitizing regulators..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

willydiver

Reaction score
Does anyone have advice on sanitizing regulators, aside from during the yearly service? I'm very careful to keep water out of my Poseidon Jetstream/Odin during post-dive rinse off, but I can't help but know that some moisture gets in and is left in it between dives. It seems like mositure + any bacteria left in the regulator could cause problems. I may be too worried about it, but just can't help imagining a nice colony of bacteria getting injected into your lungs from the regulator. I always purge mine several times before use, just to make me feel better.

Is there a regulator/oring safe rinse or soak that can be used to eliminate any nastys that get in?

WD

weak hydrogen peroxide solution (tastes better than bleach) first aid strenght peroxide can be bought from any pharmacy. In many areas, I have worked with a dip bucket of this solution at the end of the day to sanitize rental regs.

Bacteria need more than just water to survive. They also need a food source.

Your regulators should dry completely between dives. Assuming there is enough time between dives for them to do so. Some people around here dive enough the regs may never dry.

The simple drying action will cause most bacteria to die due to dessication. Some bacteria can survive dessication, but then you would need sufficient multiplication to provide an infective dose.

Not likely.

TwoBit

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom