Sanyo Xacti Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alanw

Registered
Reaction score
I have just returned from a great trip to Manado and the Lembeh Straits. On the return through Singapore, I made an impulse purchase of a Sanyo Xacti camcorder with an Epoque housing. I was intending getting a dvd camcorder and purchasing a housing such as Ikelite later, but the whole package proved too tempting.

I have started to have a few misgivings about purchase, and you like to know if there is anyone out there who has the same setup. If so, what is your opinion of the camera and have you used any lights with it?
I look forward to hearing from you.

Alan

What are your misgivings?

I assume the camera is either the VPC-C5 or the VPC-C6, I have a C5, although wish I had a C6 (gits came out with it about a week after I got my C5, ahh well such is life, at least both fit the same housing).

I love the camera and housing the tiny form is excellent for the "casual" videographer (no more lugging 20lb lead weighted housings around) and the video so far has been fine (640x480 at 30fps is perfect for me, again it's not HD but...).

I've not used light YET, I've built a rig to attach my UK HD Cannon to the rig, but haven't had a chance to really use it (tested it and it works, and holds the light, but haven't actually been able to video anything with it).

I'm using Sony Vegas 6 to edit, which works just great with the MP4 videos, I guess the overall question is, what's your concern/question/issue?

Quick Edit: The one issue I do have with the camera is that battery life is pants, you'll need a good supply of spare batteries (especially if you can't get near a charger) as basically it's one battery per dive.

Probably not a very helpful reply... but Sanyo had a demo of their HD version of the Xacti at the last InterBee (broadcast industry expo) here in Tokyo. They were showing underwater footage shot with the Xacti on large 120-inch-ish screens, and it looked pretty nice! I don't know what they did to the image during editing... but at least good footage *is* possible.

On the housing side, a local dive shop had the Xacti in a housing with a small HID light attached to it. The light was only 10 watts so not very bright, but I think size was the primary concern. The camera is so small that probably no one wants to attach big lights to it. Sort of defeats the point?

Thanks for your replies. My main problem was that first, I had not heard of the cam before, and that as it was so compact, it looked more like a toy than a "real" Cam. Most of my u/water camera experience is stills, although about 10years ago I had ( still have), a Sony hi8 cam in an Ikelite housing. That combo with lights weighs a ton, and by comparison, the Sanyo looks like a Mini next to a Hummer. I was just trying to confirm that size is not everything. I was also thinking of using a UK Hid light and would by interested to know what sort of attachment is possible. I don't have a UK yet, so I would like to know it is possible first before buying one as they are a big pricey here.

Thanks

If you take a look here http://arla.zippyvideos.com/ this is a very raw video shot with the VPC-C5, please note this was my first use of this camera, no filter, forgot to even think about white balance (also my first time diving in California, so I was concentrating a lot more on the fact that the water was bloody cold and that I was wearing more rubber than I've ever worn before).

I'll try to find some other videos, I did take some in Saint Thomas when I dove there last November, but I don't recall if any where any good.

For the light, if you have a UK HID Light already, then it's worth playing with, but it's not a particularly wonderful video light, it really depends what you are looking for (from what I've read) I already had a UK HID Light and it cost me about $20 total to make the attachment to put it on my camera, if I didn't have the light and was wanting a video light, I'd probably buy an actual video light.

Depending on your needs, you may quickly outgrow the UK LC100. Although it has an appealing price, I went to hell and back only to replace them with Brightstar HID lights.

10W HID is simply too weak, a small CCD like the Sanyo needs light (I use a DVX100 and own the Sanyo HD1). The batteries on the UK drove me nuts.

A Japanese comapny has recently come out with a Li-Ion battery for the Light Cannon, you definitely want to check this out.

As far as mounting goes - Ultralight will fit both lights, not sure about the housing though.

I am awaiting the release of their HD1 housing...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom