Sanyo's "eneloop" AA rechargeable batteries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JFYI, the Duracell Pre-Charged, no. DX1500 appears to be the same battery as the eneloop. They weigh the same on my scale, both are made in Japan, have the same capacity and appear to perform identical in electrical devices.

N

I just got some Eneloop batteries myself for an "old school" Nikonos SB-105 strobe. They worked beautifully. The SB-105 will not work with 2700 mAh rechargeable batteries. These are the batteries that I was using on a S&S YS-110. I believe older equipment has issues with higher ampere batteries, I heard that the S&S YS-90 had similar issues as well.

I did notice that Costco sell them, will buy them there next time ...

Eddy.

I used the Eneloop in Jan. in my S&S YS-110. I do not know how long they last, because I changed them before new dives every day, but I got at least 200 shots with them.

cheers, alashas http://honeymoon2.smugmug.com/

This may solve my problems with my batts overheating in my YS-110s....sees to be rare but I have had it happen to me.....

FYI for anyone interested in these (Sanyo Eneloop) batteries: I just purchased a set of 8 AA + 4 AAA plus a 4 cell charger and several AA to C and D adapters from my local Costco for $26. T.D. sells them for around $2 each plus a charger.

[Edit for clarity] I'm not selling these, I was just passing along info on a good deal.

mah or milliamp-hour is a rating of how long the battery can deliver its power. Therefore, a 2700mah battery would last longer in a device if the device were constantly on. Where the these eneloop batteries excel is holdiing a charge while not in use whereas normal NiMH batteries discarge. Inon claims that you still get the number of flashes and the same recycle time using the Eneloops and they produce less heat. I'm thinking I'll start using the Duracells' Nemrod mentioned above in my Type II Inons just to be safe.

I think I will pick up a set, but not for my high use devices such as flashes. Standard NiMH batteries have more capacity, and will provide more flashes, or camera output over a short use duration.

However these will be very useful in a number of household products like a flashlight, or my portable guitar amp where I don't want to be replacing, or recharging batters as often. I may also use these in a digital camera or two if I'm not shooting a lot.

So from where I sit the downside is that they don't have the capacity of freshly charged NiMH batteries. The upside is that they say they will hold a charge for 6 months or more. This makes them very useful for a lot of things, and they should last longer as well as they are not getting charged as often.

If one recharges them four times a year, and they have 1000 charge cycles, well, you can do the math! You may want to will these to a close relative as they will be around for a long long time. :D

That's good for the environment as well! Batteries are not generally an environmentally friendly thing to dispose of. That is the real kicker. If I never have to dispose of another set of batteries, IMO that is HUGE! :)

Sounds like they'd be great in the portable GPS as well. My 2700mah's die about every 3 or 4 weeks, just from sitting between boat rides. Usually, I just swap out with a spare strobe battery, but it sounds like with the eneloops I might go a lot longer between changes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom