Sarasota / Tampa / Venice area Top 10 Dive Sites?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

clint@uniquescuba.com

Banned
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hello friends, I am getting ready to write a blog article about the areas top 10 dive sites. I was just wondering if anyone would be willing to help with your favorite suggestions

Thank you in advance, your suggestions are much appreciated.

My number 1 is Spanish Rocks for ease. On that rare day when the viz is 20 feet plus it's spectacular.

Head to Anna Maria Island. Park at the beach entrance off 33rd, walk South on the beach to the 5th house (glass plate house) , and head out directly west 75 yards to the first set of rocks. Go another 50 yards west to the 2nd set, and you will see a bit of everything on a good day.

:)

Blackthorn, Sheridan, Rube Allen, Veterans reef, Treasure Island 1 and 2, Duniden, Mexican Pride, Hard Bottom area west of the Mex pride. WW2 sub halfway to the middle grounds (or whats left of it).

I concur with Going the Distance. I would add the Orange Tug and Mastadon Table Top to the Sheridan, Blackthorn and Rube Allyn. I also would consider adding springs which are an easy drive. This includes Paradise, Blue Grotto, Ginnie, or Troy.

Blackthorn, Sheridan, Rube Allen, Veterans reef, Treasure Island 1 and 2, Duniden, Mexican Pride, Hard Bottom area west of the Mex pride. WW2 sub halfway to the middle grounds (or whats left of it).

I think the Mexican Pride is Top 5 overall in our fair state :D

Cheers.

-J.-

I am notice Nova Scotia diver with 15 dives under my belt with full equipment (principally caribean drives). I am going to Clearwater area for first time. Can you suggest dive boat or facility to hook up with in order to do dives of 40 to 50 foot depth (my comfort zone)?
Thanks
JD

If you are trying for shore diving sites in the Tampa/Sarasota area, you'll be lucky to get 10 total!

The ones that I know about:

Hudson Grotto, Hudson, FL: Fresh water, tannic, 5-8ft vis, $15. This is an old sink hole, depths to 110+. You need lights for this dive, and there's a hydrogen sulfide layer at ~ 70' which makes it very dark. Lines at 30' & 60' around perimeter of sink. Takes 12-15 minutes to make a leisurely circuit aroung the perimeter.

Spanish Rocks, Anna Maria Island: Salt water. Vis 0-20', free. Shore dive, depths to ~ 20'. Nice small rock ledge/reef, fair amount of life.

Sugar Barge (AKA The Regina), Anna Maria Island: Salt water. Vis 0-20', free. Shore dive, depths to ~20'. Bouy markes spot ~ 50- 100 yds off shore. A triangle shaped chunk of metal the size of a Volkswagon. You can actually snorkel this as well, due to shallow depths, minimal things to see.

South End of Skyway Bridge, East Side. Salt Water. Vis 0-20', free. Depths to ~20'. Park at rest area on south end, diving area around breakwater.

Fred Howard Park, Tarpon Springs. Salt water siphon hole/cave dive, Vis 0-20', free. Depths to 60+, Advanced dive due to siphon and cave and vis. Couple hundred yards offshore from 2nd bridge on Causeway leading to beach. Causeway currently closed for repairs, makes it a much longer swim/wade.

Here's my list. Predominantly wrecks.
  1. Bayronto
  2. Mexican Pride
  3. Sheridan
  4. South Jack
  5. Fin Barge
  6. 12' Ledge
  7. Docs Barge
  8. Gunsmoke
  9. Bullshark Ledge
  10. MD1 Barge
For pics and video check out.