Sargassum anyone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BrackaFish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I am not sure how the rest of the Caribbean is doing, but we are getting some pretty big patches floating around Cayman Brac. The wind picked up today and between the wind, waves and Sargassum, shore diving was pretty much shot. Here is the Atlantis/Radar Reef boat ramp. Be safe.
1649521623647.jpeg

I am not sure how the rest of the Caribbean is doing, but we are getting some pretty big patches floating around Cayman Brac. The wind picked up today and between the wind, waves and Sargassum, shore diving was pretty much shot. Here is the Atlantis/Radar Reef boat ramp. Be safe.
View attachment 716740
Ughhh - but, in fairness, the wind and waves are the primary shore dive issue here - the sargassum itself wouldn’t stop me if conditions were good -it would just be a nuisance (ymmv). Hope things improve quickly so you can get back to diving!

Ughhh - but, in fairness, the wind and waves are the primary shore dive issue here - the sargassum itself wouldn’t stop me if conditions were good -it would just be a nuisance (ymmv). Hope things improve quickly so you can get back to diving!
Quite true. It doesn’t bother me but some of my dive buddies like my son get all freaked out when he has to surface and walk onshore with piles of weed draped all over his head and BC. Worried about a kraken or killer crabs hiding in the stuff waiting to attack him. Be safe

Quite true. It doesn’t bother me but some of my dive buddies like my son get all freaked out when he has to surface and walk onshore with piles of weed draped all over his head and BC. Worried about a kraken or killer crabs hiding in the stuff waiting to attack him. Be safe
Agreed - it’s definitely not a good thing for a number of reasons. My daughter would be freaked out by it too (she hates any amount of sea weed) a so fully understand it might be a big issue for many people!

Heading to Brac later this month, can you please get that cleaned up for us? LOL

I Spoken with a herd of hard working iguanas and feral chickens. They promise me the place will be spotless when you arrive.

If it's the same group that sold me the timeshare, I wouldn't hold out much hope- they quit responding after they got my bank wire!

Seems like this is the season. San Pedro in Belize is covered in sargassum, as well as Tulum.

Seems like this is the season. San Pedro in Belize is covered in sargassum, as well as Tulum.
Definitely the season, but it does seem that in the last decade it has been heavier. Of course that is relying on memory and that certainly doesn’t improve with age. Probably a question best answered by some of the marine scientists here. Be safe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom