Sargassum in the Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SoCalRich

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Heading to the key Largo, Islamorada next month. Curious if the sourgasm is having an impact on diving?
I could see miles of it from the air on the way to St Lucia recently.
Good Diving, Be Safe
SoCalRich

While the name "sourgasm" is quite catchy and entertaining, I think you might be referring to sargassum. The title of this thread might throw some people off.
Completely. I thought it was a new sour patch candy.

To answer the OP's question, I've never seen a bloom cause issues with diving. The sargassum can make hanging out at the beach less appealing, but I've been diving across South FL for 7 years and past sargassum blooms have never impacted charter boat diving in any way that I've seen.

I thought it was a way of saying you’re really disgusted w something.

When they make that "puckered" face, you know it was a sourgasm

Heading to the key Largo, Islamorada next month. Curious if the sourgasm is having an impact on diving?
I could see miles of it from the air on the way to St Lucia recently.
Good Diving, Be Safe
SoCalRich
I just got back from 3 days in Key Largo and have an actual report. The 'sourgasm' didn't have an impact on the diving, there was enough current to keep it away from the boat during boarding (mostly). All dives were from a boat moored to a ball in Pennekamp. On the shallow dives on Molasses and French Reefs you can see it in long trails from depth (yeah, 28'). No large masses, just strings of it going on forever.

The only thing, and this didn't affect anything at all for diving, was boat captains having to deal with it in the boat channels by the dock. And we had several dinners on the waterfront, it didn't smell like some other places where it has washed up on the beach.

I just got back a few days ago from Key Largo. I dove for about a week and had no issues, beautiful weather and seas. Have fun and good luck.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom