Saturday incident at Haigh Quarry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

she felt ok on the surface...and didn't have enough knowledge to realize that DCI (Decompression Illness) could take minutes or even quite a number of hours to manifest. I saw a diver today (not one from the boat I was on) pretty much rocket up from 80' or so...from my vantage point 40 or 50' away, it didn't look like a "panic" situation....more of a "I wonder what will happen if I hold in this blue button on my BCD inflator?" situation. She SEEMED fine on the (other) boat (which was moored near us) but I'll be checking to newspaper tomorrow to see if there's any report on an injury due to that ascent.

You can do it, it'a piece of cake. I thought about it too. I want to take the rescue courese then the DM course after. I led a bunch of kids when I was in Roatan and they were pretty roudy. It was no problem. You know what you can do in the water. All you have to do is apply it and stay cool. I'm diving the Mac' in Lake Michigan this coming week, anyone else going ? Good Viz, George.

Once you start working as a DM you will discover very quickly which students are going to require "extra" attention. For the most part I know after the first pool session which student(s) are going to be a challenge. The instructor and I get together to work out a plan before the open water session. It can get a little stressful, I'm sure quarry diving is not too much different than her in the PNW, viz can run from 5 feet to 40 feet. Even on a good day with great viz the students or another class can have the water mucked up in no time. No matter I still have fun, I enjoy assisting the instructor and being a part of the students first dive experience. It sure isn't the $$, I make more teaching the EFR class.

No offense to those that work as DM's or Instructors, but why on earth would you want to turn an avocation into a vocation? How many dive shop folks end up never diving for fun because they have a calendar full of working dives?

I became a DM so that I could hone my skills and so that I would be better able to help others if needed. Aside from the fact that I couldn't take the hit to my pocketbook to become a working diver, I wouldn't want to - it would just cut too deeply into my diving schedule.

Steven

reefraff once bubbled...
No offense to those that work as DM's or Instructors, but why on earth would you want to turn an avocation into a vocation? Steven

For us land locked divers, it keeps us in the game. Not only do I enjoy it, it gives me a reason to get up and go diving in the local lakes and quarries. It is also access to deep key-man discounts on gear and other dive stuff.

And when training dives are done, we (Instructors & DMs) go fun diving. Cook a little BBQ. Drink a few (not too much) barley pops. Smoke a good cigar. Do a little camping. What a way to spend the weekends!

Now if you're not up for the little stress that goes along with being in charge of any group endeavor, then it might not be your cup of tea.

[/QUOTE][/B]
BTW, Tinamn is also doing (or finished) his DM and we PMd the other day. He asked what I thought of DMing and my opinion was I felt like a cowboy at roundup. :) [/B][/QUOTE]

Kinda like the Cat Herder commercial, eh Butch?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom