Sawtooth Profiles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JonG1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Given that sawtooth profiles can occur relatively frequently in ow and ohe dives is there a recommended protocol for management.

AFAIK the issue is that a tissue that the ascent prior to the subsequent descent could create micro bubbles or nuclei that are then reduced in size on the descent and can then potentially avoid the lung filtration system.

Is it therefore better to conduct any subsequent ascent or ascents much slower than 9m a min or an other approach?

There's no measurable difference in recreation no-deco ascent procedures for reverse profiles (shallower before a deeper dive) vs forwards profiles (deeper dive then shallower dive). Sawtooth profiles are even less studied, but if post dive differences are negligible (repetitive dives are essentially sawtooths to the surface throughout a day) then within dive differences are even less likely to be medically significant.

Lyl82bX.jpg

Hope for the best!

So in the event of a saw tooth profile, even involving decompression you guys don't routinely pad the stops or slow the ascents following a return depth at all?

So is the conventional view that there is an increased risk of DCI from a sawtooth profile incorrect or is it simply that the risk is slight in comparison with the other potential causative factors related to DCI?

Gotta ask - what the heck was that??

Looks like a Cave dive. Those profiles are quite typical in this occasion.

Looks like a Cave dive. Those profiles are quite typical in this occasion.

Ahh yea, I see it now, the in and out, the alligator wrestling match on the way out of the hole!

So in the event of a saw tooth profile, even involving decompression you guys don't routinely pad the stops or slow the ascents following a return depth at all?

So is the conventional view that there is an increased risk of DCI from a sawtooth profile incorrect or is it simply that the risk is slight in comparison with the other potential causative factors related to DCI?
I've don't deco on the way into a cave (it goes down then back up), then did deco again on the exit. Happens sometimes. And no I don't ascend slower, I ascend pretty much as fast as the cave lets me which is usually less than 30ft/min.

Since you're talking about OW can you post an example profile?

I haven't got any profiles per se, but rooting around a wreck can take you down to the screw/scour, back onto deck, into hold up into bridge, back down into forward hold etc.

It seems like its a bit of a non-issue in general though, 1 less thing to worry about!

Not as deep as PfcAJ, but most painful dive for my ears to date ;-)

Attachments

• 46EFC1D2-9310-43F5-89F0-B8721F25BF9D.png
    46EFC1D2-9310-43F5-89F0-B8721F25BF9D.png
    89.2 KB · Views: 222
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom