Saying hello again!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll concede that there is definitely a surcharge for the brand name. But premium brand names (Mercedes included) receive their reputations for a number of reasons; marketing is one, and quality is another.

and another is rave reviews by satisfied customers,also historical brand recognition and many others.

It really is simple psychology; DUI has done a wonderful job of market positioning. There is no argument that they deserve and earned their rep; either they paid well for it (plain marketing) or they converted an initial higher level of quality and thus a higher perceived value into an drastically higher price which in-turn perpetuates the increased value ( shrewd business savvy)

either way, it is earned. I however am too cheap to drink their KoolAid either :D
Absolutely, agreed. However, here is a direct question for you, have you ever dove a custom cut DUI? If not, with all due respect, you'll have to admit that your opinion on the matter is baseless???

You are right in that I have not tried a cut DUI. I have a cut SeaTux. I have heard wonderful things about DUI from more than just you. BUT I am half Scottish and that side of me refuses to let me pay a 2000$ (or 100%) premium for the privilege of sporting their logo on my cut suit.

MY GRIEF IS that they charge such an astronomical surcharge. Granted Bare and Whites are not in the same market as neither offers the same degree(Bare), or any(whites), custom cutting that SeaTux and DUI offer.

SADLY, there is no Bare or Whites option to have THAT sort of competition. It would put pressure on DUI, contrast and highlight the[-] (level of gouging they offer along with the )[/-] premium fit and prestige pricing of their wares. :mooner:, and give EVERY diver willing to pay the ***MODEST*** surcharge for cutting the opportunity to dive awesome suits. IIRC custom cutting vs standard sizing was about 200$

Don't get me wrong man, I think the world of DUI... Heck in my humbly biased opinion, they are the only real competitor to SeaTux :D

There are many brand names that make good suits. I would absolutely recommend BARE suits, they are a good value. I'm simply making the argument that they are not of comparable quality to DUI. If you take the money out of the equation (I know...in a perfect world:D) there really would be nothing to debate.

I too recommend Bare suits as I think the lifetime guarantee on their seams speaks volumes: NO company is ever going to do a lifetime policy on any component they have any sort of doubt about.

ALSO, my biggest reason for being such a strong proponent of the brands I do mention so favorably... They are ALL British Columbia based manufacturers and I LOVE to see us compete with the BEST of what the USA has to offer. For me it boils down to pure jingoist pride!!

Cheers!
T

ALSO, my biggest reason for being such a strong proponent of the brands I do mention so favorably... They are ALL British Columbia based manufacturers and I LOVE to see us compete with the BEST of what the USA has to offer. For me it boils down to pure jingoist pride!!

I'm a business person and I completely agree and understand were your coming from. I always try and buy things locally, unless the premium for doing so is ridiculous, or there are no local substitutes close enough for my liking. In terms of drysuits the latter is the case for me.

But, in the end it all comes down to what your needs are. There are some guys around here (wedivebc from this board for example) who are doing some pretty amazing cave exploration in the North Island. Besides the fact that what they are doing is beyond my training/comfort, I wouldn't even consider doing it without a neoprene suit; the toughness factor is paramount when exploring remote caves in cold water IMO. For the diving I'm doing (deep wreck diving) I choose gear based on what I think is the absolute best, and leave price out of it (for the most part). After all this is life support equipment and "this sport ain't tiddlywinks."

For me, the one pro of neoprene suits (toughness) doesn't come close to outweighing the pros of a custom cut shell suit. And, I haven't seen a shell suit manufactured in this province that can honestly compete with some of the American/European suits.

I appreciate your honesty about your Scottish ancestry, I've got some of that blood in my veins too. ;:D

Too each their own. There is no right answers; just a mixture of facts and opinions. Safe diving.

Chris Fenton

I'm curious, cfenton, what is it that you don't like about the Fusion? Have you had a chance to try it?

I'm curious, cfenton, what is it that you don't like about the Fusion? Have you had a chance to try it?

Slamfire, I can't seem to find were I said I din't like the Fusion. To answer you're question I have never dove a Fusion. Everyone I know who has bought one has been happy with it. My only "experience" with Whites is that my girlfriend, and main teammate, was issued one (not a Fusion) when she was briefly working for the Navy as a PID diver. It seemed like a decent suit and she was moderately happy with it...but she dives her TLS350 when the choice is hers.

The OP said she was choosing between a DUI and Seatux. I entered this conversation to give my opinion, and some facts, comparing shells (DUI) and neoprene (Seatux). Somebody said that that DUI was directly comparable with BARE & Whites, but charge a higher price solely for "image" reasons. I wholeheartedly disagree. I do think that a BARE trilam or Whites Fusion are both good local brands, at a very reasonable price point.

It all comes down to the right tool for the job, and weighing all the factors. I started by buying a 7mm wetsuit, the a BARE HD Trimlam, then a DUI TLS 350s, followed by another. I wish I had skipped the first two and was hoping to give the OP more info so that she could weigh her decision. Maybe avoid making the same mistake I did, and saver herself some $$ in the long run.

I'm out.

I dive a Fusion because I'm too cheap to buy a DUI, if there were the same price I would dive a DUI no question. I try to buy a DUI but after the 10% discount the suit was still around $3700.00 including taxes. That of course was a signature series with P Valve, Pocket etc. I bought a Whites Fusion limited tech skin for $2200.00 cheaper. So far the Fusion serve me well I have about 100 dives on the suit and it still dry. A DUI off the rack is not that much more than a Bare or Whites, I think it get pricey when you had a lot of options.

Al

Chris, you never said you didn't like the Fusion, but you said that, "there are no local substitutes close enough for my liking." I wanted to hear your thoughts on what was it that you liked more about DUI than the Fusion; that is, if you had tried the Fusion. You're perfectly entitled to your own opinions and if you prefer DUI far be it from me to start pointing fingers and try to force down on you another brand.

My curiosity is not born out of a motivation to correct your "evil and wrong ways". You don't need correction from me and I am not very inclined to dispense unsolicited corrective advice. I was curious because many of the local UTD/GUE trained divers that I know like the Fusion quite a bit. I thought you might have a unique insight about the Fusion that I hadn't previously encountered. Oftentimes there's something to learn from insights like that. That's all.

Gabriel

just dive with some garbage bags and tape wrapped around neck, wrists..

now that's saving money!

Back
Top Bottom