SB sellers-why shipping not included?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Zef , while I understand the frustration of not having tax added to the price tag as a consumer, it would be a nightmare as a retail chain that sold nationwide. That would have to have a warehouse dedicated to each state, and sometimes different parts of states. In most cases merchandise is sent from the warehouses with prices already on them. Therefore, anything going to a store in New Hampshire, sales tax free, could not be in the same warehouse as items going to Vermont, Massachusetts or Maine, due to their state sales tax. Meanwhile, Washington state has, or at least had, county sales tax, so something would sell in Tacoma for a different tax price than Seattle. This also means that you couldn’t transfer product from a store in Seattle to a store in Tacoma without having to reprice the merchandise. Definitely a problem for a small, local chain.
I’m sure there would be ways around the logistics of it, but seems a lot to ask.

Erik

I’ve had plenty of stuff that I wouldn’t sell due to the cost of shipping or wasn’t worth the hassle. I had a bunch of extra/unwanted hoses. Asked two friends what they wanted. After I had sorted the ones they wanted out, I pitched the few that were left. Gave away an old pair of fins to another friend.

The cost of shipping is becoming prohibitive for us regular not contracted people because of high volume shippers getting massive discounts, we pay the difference on our occasional shipping/sales of personal items. The pandemic has played a major role in these increases, before the covid there was constant cargo space flying to all corners of the world, as the world opens back up we are unlikely to see shipping prices drop much.

The cost of shipping is becoming prohibitive for us regular not contracted people because of high volume shippers getting massive discounts, we pay the difference on our occasional shipping/sales of personal items. The pandemic has played a major role in these increases, before the covid there was constant cargo space flying to all corners of the world, as the world opens back up we are unlikely to see shipping prices drop much.
Even contracted rates have increased dramatically. Especially with current fuel surcharges.

To answer the original question, I typically do include shipping in my ads unless it is going truck freight, at that point, I need a location to give an accurate estimate.
Most people want items shipped to their home instead of their workplace, I understand that, it is easier, but shipping to a residential address is 20-30% more expensive than a commercial one. I usually quote price shipped to a commercial address in the Contiguous US. Everything beyond that increases the price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom