SBD Dauntless (Revised) -- 80 Years Later

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beldridg

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We recently returned to the site of a SBD Dauntless that crashed with a mission to build a photogrammetry model to better understand the crash site. It is a debris field and visibility is often poor and is 200' deep.

After the dive, but before I had published the story and model, we were contacted by a relative of one of the people who died in the crash. She had been searching for info on her great uncle and found our site with the original story of Richard H. Moore.

In a crazy twist of timing, I also realized that today is exactly 80 years from the day of the crash -- August 24, 1943. Therefore, I got to it and wrote the post so we could publish it today on the 80th anniversary of the crash. The post has the 3D model along with some photos of Richard H. Moore that the relative recently sent to us. We have offered to take them to the crash site similar to the family and friends of the person who died the helicopter that we identified.

Here is the complete story with photos and the photogrammetry model:

Below is a screen capture of the wreck site.

cover.JPG

My post concludes with:

"... on August 24th, 2023, we will honor the service of Radio Man 3rd Class Richard H. Moore and Captain William Parks Jr. on the 80th anniversary of their crash of SBD Dauntless #4563. "

Regards,

- brett

Excellent write up once again Brett. Have had several experiences with relatives on shipwrecks that our group has found and was able to bring them some sort of closure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom