Scapa Flow liveaboards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your profile says you are US based. Stuff to know about Scapa liveaboards -

You usually book the whole boat as a club or organised group.
The diving is moderately serious, with 30 to 45m typical. Expect to be in deco on most dives.
There will be two dives a day max.
Some boats you sleep on, some stay onshore.
Food may be extra.
Mixed gas will be extra.
Water temperature will be low teens if lucky.
Lots of standing stones to see if blown out.

Has there been any update from this case? I'm comparing Scapa liveaboards and the MV Jean Elaine's site hasn't had updates in a few years. Is it still an operation?

Jean Elaine is still operating. Dougie is an excellent skipper but the boat, like the website, is showing its age.

As Ken says, boats are typically chartered by groups of twelve but if you're planning on going alone or in a small group it may be worth contacting Scapa Scuba as they can cater for you.

You can dive Scapa "recreationally" but you'll not get the best out of the wrecks or on the best of them. Being equipped and able to carry out planned decompression will make your trip worthwhile. Skippers do not check qualifications and there are no divemasters on the boats (although Scapa Scuba offer guided dives).

Skippers will give you a briefing and this can be as short as "shot is on the bow gun" to complete histories with diagrams. There will usually be a deck hand to help with getting gear on and off and all Scapa charters have diver lifts for getting back on board.

There is no real reason to do liveaboard in Scapa. All the boats tie up in Stromness at night and shore accomodation is only ever a short stroll away. UK liveaboards tend to be converted trawlers with tiny bunk cabins and shared showers/wc. You will not find air-conditioned state rooms with en-suite facilities, nor will the skipper turn down your bed and leave a chocolate on your pillow. If you want "luxury" living then stay ashore, plenty of boats offer this option.

Water temperature will be low teens if lucky.
Lots of standing stones to see if blown out.

UK liveaboards tend to be converted trawlers with tiny bunk cabins and shared showers/wc. You will not find air-conditioned state rooms with en-suite facilities, nor will the skipper turn down your bed and leave a chocolate on your pillow. If you want "luxury" living then stay ashore, plenty of boats offer this option.

These cautions are exactly what makes me excited to dive there.

If you are alone and just want to dive those WWI German wrecks then Scapa Scuba is probably the one to contact. The season starts from May to Oct. And I believe Scapa Scuba provides everything(equipment, dry suit, guide etc etc) in one package.
Have fun.

I suggest setting aside extra days for Skara Brea etc. Orkney has some of the best stone and Bronze Age stuff anywhere (and I was at Carnac yesterday). Not just the standard tourist stuff but all over the place. Get an OS map and go and look.

I fell over on a boat in Scapa. I decided that I'd rather take my drysuit off before my arm swelled up rather than after so I didn't dive. Nobody would have stopped me though.

Email all the skippers to see if you can find space. Some post individual spaces now and again on Facebook. There is also a fairly active uk spare spaces and places page. You might also consider joining TDF, a U.K. dive forum, and keep an eye open for spaces there. Keep in mind that the German fleet is not all there is to dive so if you tag along with some group make sure they are doing the diving you want. Sometimes the individual's trips are 'technical' which means something rather more serious than the SB use of the term.

Oh, and the boats operate live at all times.

You'll be given plenty of time to kit up and as you approach the wreck buoy you'll be stood up and moved to the gate, fully kitted with fins on.

The boat will move up to the buoy, the engine will be put in neutral, the deckhand will yell "go" and you jump towards the buoy. The boat will then motor off whilst the next group get ready to jump. Meanwhile you get together with your buddy and descend.

When you surface you signal the boat* and it'll come over and pick you up. The skippers normally practically scoop you up with the lift platform so you don't have to do much finning about on the surface. Ride the lift to the deck them someone will usually help you shuffle back to your bench spot and sit you down, normally just in time to have a hot drink thrust into your hands.

*this will be a combination of an ok signal with a rude hand gesture, that way the skippers know which divers belong to which boat.

Good point, I am always baffled by the lack of lifts and boats that move when abroad. How hard can it be?

I'm baffled watching some of the Scapa Flow videos about the height of the entry platforms off these trawlers. The MV Valkyrie's entry, for example, looks nearly 2m. Why not use the lift? Is it too slow for entry?

Good point, I am always baffled by the lack of lifts and boats that move when abroad. How hard can it be?

It's not hard. It's dealing with the flag state. Many flag states consider lifts to be elevators, and getting an elevator certified on a boat is the pits. The UK uses a bit more common sense than other flag states do. Also, most dive boats cater to single tank numpties. I never wear a wetsuit. If it's too cold for a rash guard and board shorts, it's too cold to dive. I'm not fighting doubles, a drysuit, and stage bottles coming up the ladder.

Back
Top Bottom