School a newbie on wetsuits please...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So now everything is all clean and dandy, however when cleaning it I noticed a little hole/puncture on my left arm, which was disappointing considering I have only really used it on one dive trip.

But I noticed that the hole isn't completely through. When I put my finger behind it and press to expand the hole, I can't see my finger and rather I see the inner lining. I have the Henderson Thermaxx so I'm guessing it's just the inner "fire fleece" lining that didn't get punctured.

Is this something I should be concerned about getting worse? Is there a way to repair this in some way? I'm assuming this happened sometime on the dive trip maybe putting my arms in/out of the gear, as I've got really big shoulders and getting in/out of my BCD was a challenge sometimes so I'm guessing it was caught on something maybe. I didn't notice any difference though as far as like feeling water leaking in or anything.

The puncture isn't large or anything, but it's noticeable. Like I can see that there is something there on the outside of the wetsuit, but you can't really tell it's a hole until putting your finger behind it to stretch the hole a little bit. (if that makes any sense)

Or is this something that could be covered under warranty, if it is something that could potentially get worse?

If it is a defect it is covered by warranty. If damage, then no. Not always easy to tell the difference, ultimately that is up to Henderson. Show it to the dealer you bought it from and see where the conversation takes you. There a few McNett's / Gear Aid options for wetsuit repair, consult their website. Address it now before it grows.

Thanks that is a great idea to take it to the store I purchased it at. They could probably tell me what the best route is. I will probably do that next weekend when I have some time to do it.

I just snapped some pics of the hole.

Here is it just from a normal kind of distant view, you can see the hole if you look closely.

OrGvFX4.jpg

And here is a close up of it:

KZFcbAa.jpg

And then here is a pic with my finger behind it and as you can see, it's not punctured all the way through, as my fingers aren't gray lol:

JKCbJU9.jpg

I really like my Henderson flexible 3mm back zip. Yes, there’s stinging things and fire coral and scrapes so long suit has advantage on protection and warmth. Size chart at Leisurepro was fine and flex neoprene helps too. Can always let water in if too warm.

Awwww, bummer about the little snag or puncture! I know that's a major ouch on a new investment.

As suggested already, you can (and probably should) try the warranty route, but I wouldn't bank on it. If your retailer is really awesome, they may go to bat for ya..."oh no, Henderson, this looks like a flaw included in the panel, we want our mutual customer to be loyal to us and you..." Worth a try....

But if not, try a bit of Neoprene Cement, not aquaseal. I would think such a repair would last a really long time. (The neoprene cement is more flexible than Aquaseal) But hey, on the bright side, your wetsuit is already developing character.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom