Schooner that sunk off Sodus Point identified

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hnladue

Contributor
Reaction score
From this mornings D&C

The Orcadian sank after colliding with another ship about 3 a.m. on May 8, 1858, said Jim Kennard of Perinton. Its crew members were rescued.

The wreckage rests about 250 feet deep on the bottom of Lake Ontario.

Kennard, Dan Scoville of Greece and Chip Stevens of Pultneyville, Wayne County, located the wreckage last year, but weren't able to confirm its identity until they used a remote operated vehicle to examine it.

"We had a feeling what it might be last year," Kennard said. "We knew from the size of the original sonar image we had that this was a possibility."

The Orcadian departed Bayfield, Ontario, on Lake Huron and was headed to Oswego with 8,200 bushels of wheat. It collided with the Lucy J. Latham, which was carrying 800 barrels of Onondaga salt.

The New York state Office of Historic Preservation was contacted about the discovery. While recreational divers can go only about 135 feet deep, the exact location is being kept secret to discourage people who want to remove artifacts, which is illegal.

The team will talk about other findings they've made at 7 p.m. Oct. 16 at the Chili Library, 3333 Chili Ave., and at 7 p.m. Nov. 1 at the Fairport Library, 1 Fairport Village Landing.

Anyone interesting in going to the presentation? --Heather.

I always wanted to go listen to those guys.

Darn!! I can't make it on the 16th, I'll be diving in the Bahamas :shakehead:

:wink:

I'm not sure if I can do the one in Fairport on the 1st. Maybe!!

Remind me when I get back Heather.

unless they get protection why release their coordinates?

i'd rather not dive that deep on a stripped busted up wreck.

if it was intact with artifacts let's go but you all know anything interesting would be gone within one weekend after the public got the numbers.

hopefully the finders will document the wrecks condition and respect whatever history remains there.

dave t

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom