Scorpions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pop on over here for a visit brother, we'll show you a good time

I had a scorpion on the wall next to my head on the bed once for a couple of days

Screenshot (493).png

But these are harmless

139 (2).JPG

Being attacked by a herd of rampaging emus doing 110k
light rain coming home from the shop was a bit daunting

Pop on over here for a visit brother, we'll show you a good time

I had a scorpion on the wall next to my head on the bed once for a couple of days

View attachment 731419

But these are harmless

View attachment 731420

Being attacked by a herd of rampaging emus doing 110k
light rain coming home from the shop was a bit daunting
We have some of the deadliest scorpions in the world here. There is one particular type if stings a person, they only have few extremely painful minutes before they expire. No antidote afaik.

Where have you been the last few days Bro? [Mod edit]

Where have you been the last few days Bro?

Dude I try but like all good busy people of a particular vintage
I plonk myself down in my comfy chair click on and fall asleep

The main topside invertebrate hazard on Bonaire is the mosquito, in my opinion (though at the southern tip I once ran into tiny biting gnats).
Agreed. Bring DEET and apply it to areas that won’t be covered by a wetsuit. We were there last month and made the mistake of not using it the first couple of days and got eaten alive. Had very few bites after that. Make sure to apply it in the evening, also.

Dude I try but like all good busy people of a particular vintage
I plonk myself down in my comfy chair click on and fall asleep
I wish you good health my friend always inshallah

I had one in my rental apt in Bonaire. I told the owner and she asked me if I found its mate! She said they are typically found in pares! I did not find its mate. 🫣

We were on a boat a couple of weeks ago where a 3" scorpion showed up on one of the seats. Easiest way for it to have gotten there seems like dive gear, but who knows.

A few years back we were renting a Bonaire ground floor apartment. While enjoying the fading sun on the terrace, a piercing shriek came from my wife inside while watching tv. A little scorpion had come out from under the sofa and danced across her toes. I came in and "took care of it". I returned to my drink, she curled her feet up on top of the couch (for the remainder of our stay!) and all was well.

We now live on the 2nd floor (or is it the third?, Depends where you are from) and have not seen one since, but the occasional scorpion, whether in Mexico, other Caribbean islands or in Asia is not abnormal. Once in a while a cockroach appears and is dealt with accordingly without prejudice. No need for the hysterics that our renters sometimes react with towards the uninvited guest. It is the tropics, creatures that you don't see in Ypsilanti do live here! I don't think anything will kill you. But if it makes you feel better, give your boots an inverted thump and the rest of your gear a shake before donning.

Just have fun and enjoy all that is great here!

I've never had a scorpion in my dive gear while on Bonaire. I suppose one could get into a boot if you left it on the ground. I just hang my stuff up between dives. So unless there are some scorpion species who have developed wings, you'll be fine so long as you don't leave your gear draped across the ground. If worried, just give everything a good shake before donning.

I once had a scorpion drop on me from the ceiling in my house. They don't have to fly. They are great climbers.

Back
Top Bottom