Scotch 'n Soda Diving - Barbados. Anyone know them?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubawife

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone heard of or used Scotch 'n Soda in Barbados? They were mentioned to me last week but I can't find any reviews or mention on sites I usually check. And their web site is just contact info. No real details or mention of any PADI or NAUI affiliations, etc.

I talked to them once on one of my trips there, but didnt dive with them. If my old memory serves me right, they are PADI affiliated...not that it really matters.

I have dove with John Moore of Dive Barbados Ltd. You will find him here....
http://www.divebarbados.net/ . He has a small boat and small groups. Never seen more than 4 people....very personal. He FILLS your tanks and you dive until you cant stay down any more.

While I am not wild about High Tide, once or twice a week they take out local university students to tag turtles and that is interesting if you have never seen that done before.

I am planning on being there for 3 weeks this Sept. When you going down?

Oh...and do the shore dive known as Carlisle Bay. Yell if you need info on it.

No real plans yet. It may be a possible business trip in the fall and if I could get some dives in that would be nice. What I saw in a couple video clips of dives with this shop after I posted has pretty much turned me off.

If I do get the opportunity I'll look into the two shops you mentioned. Do you go to Barbados as a dive destination or do you just dive there while on vacation doing other things?

Thanks for the info!

Do a search for my two trip reports Babados 2005 and Barbados 2006. They have a lot of info.

I love Barbados because it has boat diving, shore diving (limited but there), TONS to do above the water as well and it is such an easy island to drive around on.

I have spent my last three vacations there and as I said plan to go back this Sept if I can ever get the boss to commit.

Feel free to contact me if you have any specific questions.

Maybe I sound a bit conservative (moi? I'm a flaming radical), but I'd be leery of a dive op named after an alcoholic beverage. I'll do crazy things, but I rarely mix alcohol and diving. However, when I'm not diving I like a good drink!

I know nothing about this specific operation. Unless I heard some very good reports, my personal choice would be to avoid them. Your mileage may vary.

zackalack8999:
Here is how the vast majority of people on the board feel about them: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=191090&highlight=scotch+n+soda

THANK YOU!!!!! THAT is just one of the videos I found of this shop... The name got me wondering to start with, but the person who told me about them usually has pretty good taste in dive shops. I'm gonna talk to him and pass on a few of the Youtube clips. I'm guessing that he has no idea what they are like.

I wasn't going to post the links on the forum, but since someone else already did, what the heck. Might as well put them out there. :shakehead

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACb6XM74n5U
www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-5BlijeDBo
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep9jc578xc0 (wait until you see the child jump in at around 1:20...) :11:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEu4MMZyqnw

They're posted along with others on youtube, so Ram (owner and DM?) must be pretty proud of his antics. This guy is a law suit and accident waiting to happen, not to mention that there are probably some uneducated, inexperienced divers that will see this sort of stuff and think it's ok. Maybe I'm niave or a bit too much of a reef-hugger, but just how does an operation like this stay in business?

Rich, thanks for the info on Dive Barbados. They sound like sort of operations I tend to enjoy diving with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom