Scrambler XT and a 2nd tank??....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver 85

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Like the title pretty much says, does anyone here ever carry a 2nd tank---for a 2 tank dive on their's??....I'm thinking 80's for both??..help me out, anyone carry an extra up front??.....tia....

I have heard of people doing that; however, I am such a dork that I'd be sure to capsize and lose all of my gear while switching tanks. The dive sites I paddle to are less than a mile offshore, so I paddle back to switch tanks.

I have heard of people doing that; however, I am such a dork that I'd be sure to capsize and lose all of my gear while switching tanks. The dive sites I paddle to are less than a mile offshore, so I paddle back to switch tanks.

Deb(now I can't get in trouble, lol), was thinking about the (extra) weight mainly plus any difficulty in changing over water part too.....so the extra weight should be no problem, thanks for the info....

Just remember, if everything is leashed to the yak, even if it goes over you can recover it. :wink:

I flipped once while out there, believe it or not, actually while just getting out of the boat to cool off...whattadork...didn't lose any gear, but did lose a cheap pair of sunglasses and a pair of gloves that weren't tied down. More than one person in my kayak dive club has lost hundreds if not thousands of dollars worth of gear because they didn't heed this.

It can be done with some kayaks, but switching out tanks that are negative does not sound like fun on the water. My Hobie can take a tank in the bow locker, but barely fits an HP100. The weight is not an issue. The biggest issue would be leashing off the tanks as you are changing them and not flipping the kayak with the bow locker open. You would need some type of leash system that does not get in the way. Tank boots can fall off, so that leaves around the neck or making something that uses hose clamps.

Doubles fit in one of my kayaks, but we will not be doing that again. Way too much work and we flipped the kayak twice trying to get them back on.

On that note, I carry a pump, and have enough foam in my kayak to keep it from sinking.

Thanks too Peter-----what kind of foam you putting ie would pool noodles be enuff??...tia...

I used a two part foam and filled in sections of my boat to create damns. By that I mean water can flow down one side, but I do not have to worry about my mask etc. winding up going all the way to the bow. Pool noodles work well too.

I believe you could carry two tanks on the Scrambler XT. I have the Scrambler 11 and It is possible to fit a tank up front and a tank in the back. I have yet to dive off of it, but I have tried loading gear into it to see if it is possible. I think it would be a challenge to change the tanks while on the yak. I do know it is very easy to get back into the Scrambler, even when holding something. I have dumped out of it a few times in very rough seas and find it very easy to get back in.

I believe you could carry two tanks on the Scrambler XT. I have the Scrambler 11 and It is possible to fit a tank up front and a tank in the back. I have yet to dive off of it, but I have tried loading gear into it to see if it is possible. I think it would be a challenge to change the tanks while on the yak. I do know it is very easy to get back into the Scrambler, even when holding something. I have dumped out of it a few times in very rough seas and find it very easy to get back in.

Thanks for the info...same here on in & out--just wondering if another 40 lbs way up front's gunna 'mess' it up ie extra weight there....I have many(single tank) dives off it, I'm kinda like Deb ie close enuff to shore to come back & change one out...& actually enjoy kayak diving quite a bit, adds another dimension to diving...

Thanks for the info...same here on in & out--just wondering if another 40 lbs way up front's gunna 'mess' it up ie extra weight there....I have many(single tank) dives off it, I'm kinda like Deb ie close enuff to shore to come back & change one out...& actually enjoy kayak diving quite a bit, adds another dimension to diving...
I don't think the extra weight up front is going to be a problem. I have gone out on it with it packed with everything but dive gear. It does ride a little lower in the water but that is expected with the extra weight. I do find that with more weight there is less maneuverability since there is more of the kayak in the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom