Scuba and freediving on the same day

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No sane scuba diver would surface from 60' in 30 seconds. This is done on a regular basis while freediving, which is why it should never be done until offgassing is completed. Leaving your regulator and tank on the surface doesn't make fast ascents any safer.

A few years ago here in the dive park we had a diver with about 3,000 dives go out to free dive to retrieve his float after several descents on SCUBA. He died on that one attempt to retrieve his float. A number of divers present believed that the free diving after a full day of SCUBA was a contributing factor. He only descended to about 25 ft on the free dive.

I am no expert in this (gave up free diving years ago due to age and a number of shallow water blackouts by friends here on the island). I didn't see the autopsy report either. Therefore I defer to anyone with better knowledge on the subject.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom