Scuba and the Flu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PToone

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am new to Scuba and have a question for you experts. I have looked all over google to try and find an answer to see how long to wait after the flu to dive again. To no avail.

I am scheduled to do my first dive in Catalina on Friday morning (Feb, 6th) and today (feb 1st) I woke up with body aches, headache, and a soar back. I am dopped up on ib profen, dayquil, antibiodics, and zovirax (to make sure I don't get a coldsore). I feel alot better than I did this morning, but I wanted to see the general rule of thumb for being sick and diving.

I don't have any ear or sinus problems, which is probably good, but any advice you can offer would be appreciated.

Paul

I am new to Scuba and have a question for you experts. I have looked all over google to try and find an answer to see how long to wait after the flu to dive again. To no avail.

I am scheduled to do my first dive in Catalina on Friday morning (Feb, 6th) and today (feb 1st) I woke up with body aches, headache, and a soar back. I am dopped up on ib profen, dayquil, antibiodics, and zovirax (to make sure I don't get a coldsore). I feel alot better than I did this morning, but I wanted to see the general rule of thumb for being sick and diving.

I don't have any ear or sinus problems, which is probably good, but any advice you can offer would be appreciated.

Paul
If you're on antibiotics I assume you've already been to see your doctor. Did he/she give you any advice? I'm not usually taken down for the count by a cold for more than two or three days but then I guess I'm lucky that way. I'm no medical expert but if I still felt seriously blocked up by Wednesday night or Thursday morning I'd consider calling it. You should always go with your gut feeling and if you have any doubts rather take it easy than take a risk.

Get lots of rest, drink lots of liquids (preferably normal water,) and hey, maybe you're good to go in a couple of days. I hope you feel better soon. :coffee:

The bottom line is that if you are congested, you run the risk of being unable to clear, or worst reverse block. If you must dive congested, I'd use sudafed during your dives. A better option is to skip diving until you can easily clear at the surface.

Discussing this with a doctor is a good idea, but if that Doctor does not dive, they may not really have much/any experience. I know of folks who dive on Sudafed with a cold, but those cases are rare, and best to skip a few dives vs. screwing up your ears. Reverse block is especially scary.

The bottom line is that if you are congested, you run the risk of being unable to clear, or worst reverse block. If you must dive congested, I'd use sudafed during your dives. A better option is to skip diving until you can easily clear at the surface.

Discussing this with a doctor is a good idea, but if that Doctor does not dive, they may not really have much/any experience. I know of folks who dive on Sudafed with a cold, but those cases are rare, and best to skip a few dives vs. screwing up your ears. Reverse block is especially scary.

I agree - you can always dive another day. You only get your ears once. If you have ever had a sinus block you won't let yourself in for one again. If you absolutely must dive try some very shallow dives to see how you're reacting first. Personally, I wouldn't do much more than snorkle unless I was absolutely clear.

my buddy once pushed himself to dive when he was less than 100%. we were on barracuda (coz) when he experienced vertigo. we are both dm cert and have dived together often so there was no serious problem but there may have been if we were less experienced.
my advice is that if you are still on all those meds 6 feb, cancel. btw flu is a virus. anti biotics don't help. i guess you should finish your course this time but don't go right to them in the future.

Thanks for your suggestions. I feel like it is the flu because of the achey body and the headache. I don't have ear ache or any problems in my sinus...yet. My MD doesn't dive, so he didn't have any advice for me. I usually don't have long periods of the flu, so I'm kind of leaning towards seeing how I feel on Wednesday and make the call on that day. This is my second dive outside of certification, so I don't have much experience yet...so I'm gonna play it safe.

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll make sure not to push it!

Paul

Thanks for your suggestions. I feel like it is the flu because of the achey body and the headache. I don't have ear ache or any problems in my sinus...yet. My MD doesn't dive, so he didn't have any advice for me. I usually don't have long periods of the flu, so I'm kind of leaning towards seeing how I feel on Wednesday and make the call on that day. This is my second dive outside of certification, so I don't have much experience yet...so I'm gonna play it safe.

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll make sure not to push it!

Paul

It sounds like you are going about this just fine. I'm not a MD, I'm a psychologist, so I'm not giving medical advice - just personal experience.

It's not whether or not you've had the flu that is the problem. If you don't develop congestion, you should not have a problem. Any congestion and you need to call the dive.

As I have gotten older, I have had more problems clearing my ears (even with no congestion), I did go to a Doctor who specializes in diving. He recommended some over the counter - long lasting - stuff to take before a dive period. That is what I do, and I have never been unable to clear - just not as fast as when I was younger.

If you feel "achey body and the headache", well that is why I called a weekend full of dives a week ago. I didn't have any congestion, but it would not have been much fun and people certainly would not have appreciate my flu germs!!!

You'll know by Wednesday. Have a great time diving.

drdaddy

Headache and body aches are extremely non-specific, and certainly are not criteria for diagnosing influenza. They can occur during the viremic phase of any viral illness, or even during bacterial infections when body temperature is rising.

If your symptoms are as described, I find it hard to understand why you would be prescribed antibiotics. They are not useful in viral illnesses, can predispose to some nasty secondary infections, and contribute to global antibiotic resistance. If this is something you are doing on your own, it probably isn't helping you.

If you are going to develop a full-fledged viral illness, you should develop further symptoms over the next 24 to 48 hours, which will let you know whether you are going to be able to dive or not. As mentioned, congestion is the biggest issue, but diving if you are fuzzy-headed from illness is probably not a great idea from a safety standpoint.

Headache and body aches are extremely non-specific, and certainly are not criteria for diagnosing influenza. They can occur during the viremic phase of any viral illness, or even during bacterial infections when body temperature is rising.

If your symptoms are as described, I find it hard to understand why you would be prescribed antibiotics. They are not useful in viral illnesses, can predispose to some nasty secondary infections, and contribute to global antibiotic resistance. If this is something you are doing on your own, it probably isn't helping you.

If you are going to develop a full-fledged viral illness, you should develop further symptoms over the next 24 to 48 hours, which will let you know whether you are going to be able to dive or not. As mentioned, congestion is the biggest issue, but diving if you are fuzzy-headed from illness is probably not a great idea from a safety standpoint.

Yeah....what she said....

What you say makes perfect sense, I guess I will have to reevaluate myself on Monday and Tuesady and see how I am doing. In response to the 'fuzzy-headed' feelings, I agree. If I am in any way in need of medication (besides possibly sudafed as a precautionary) I will cancel the dive. Which will kill me because I've been looking forward to this for some time, but I also have a wife and a 3 yr old and a 1 yr old that I would really hate to benifit from DAN insurance incase anything bad happens. I'm only 24, and I have many dives in my future...I hope :)

Thanks eveyone for your input. I'll keep you informed...

Back
Top Bottom