scuba death in cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

no need for the all caps. I don't disagree with anything you said. I just find it hard to believe it happened right before we were there and we heard nothing. Can I have a link to this letter?

I checked with some friends over in Coz and they haven't heard of it either. While we understand that you trust your friend who sent you a letter it is not responsible to name a business on a public forum and blame them for someone's death without verifying the accuracy of that accusation personally. What you are reporting is heresay and not first hand knowledge. Perhaps you should call the newspaper, hospitals, police or Medical Examiner in Coz and verify your story before posting it.

This is obviously is a subject you feel strongly about and with good reason. As a dive shop owner you would want all of us on the board to confirm the accuracy of a poster's claim that you or one of your instructor's ignored a dangerous situation causing a diver's injury or death. The Cozumel operator deserves the same courtesy to avoid rumors and false accusations from gathering steam across the cyber world.

Please see if you can confirm the story and post what you find out.

Thanks, Cathy

I just got back from Coz this evening and it is true that a diver was lost this week. From my understanding it was dive paradise as well.

Sunday morning one less diver came out than went in. It was on Santa Rosa Wall. A lot of the operators were doing their second shallower dives in the area in hopes of finding him. Ther were helicopers flying the waters as well but nothing was ever found.

My wife and I were diving with Living underwater and saw the MX military and one sightseeing helicopters flying around during our surface interval near the Allegro and wondered what it was all about. When we returned to the Presidente several of the people who dove with Scuba Du had heard about the incident and were all a buzz about about it. Our DM confirmed the rumor and that it was heard to be Dive paradise Sunday night at dinner. We dove everyday and night until yesturday and everybody was talking about it. Made for a somewhat somber week. (still had fun as all our dives were wonderful and went off without any real problems but you still think about it in the back of your mind--especially when we dove Santa Rosa Wall a couple days later, looking down into the abyss)

Hope this clarifys the mystery a little.

Bill

From all the talk during the week, from all the different people we spoke to, no one I heard ever blamed the DM or the operator in any way. The reorts we heard were quite to the contrary. I will not elaborate as they were just secondhand stories but wanted to add that I never personally heard anything about Dive Paradise being at fault in any way.

I was in Cozumel as well and was to meet some friends there. I didn't dive this time but had recommended Dive Paradise to my friends. My friends ended up leaving early and we couldn't find out why. I became more interested in the dive accident because of the Dive Operator and the timing. When I found out the divers where also with the same tour operator and staying at the same hotel, I became frantic.

Because the diver was potentially a friend and client, I was given more information than what might normally be given out. I hesitate to give too many details but it is definitely true. However, I also feel that there was some diver error involved from the story as I was told it. As I understand, the DM and the rest of the group had no idea that he was trying to catch up to the group. It was understood that he was on the surface waiting for them to finish the dive. Unless he's found, I suppose we won't know the truth for sure!

Thnx for the welcome! I agree it's a weird board to begin with but I actually ran across this looking for some real news about the accident. Seems that things like that are suppressed quickly; very bad press for a destination like Cozumel that depends so heavily on divers!

My brother was there with another dive group when it happened.
He saw the search efforts. All he knows is the guy did not have a buddy and was following the group. They noticed he was missing and never found him.
Lloyd

I just returned yesterday from Cozumel after 3 days of diving with Dive Paradise on the Aeries and there was never once any mention of any lost divers. However, we had 3 Divemasters on board for 23 divers and divided into 3 groups for all dives. My divemaster counted us going into the water, as soon as we descended he counted us and quite frequently throughout the dive I saw him counting. When we boarded he waited for us to get on board first counting us again. As we picked up our other two groups they were all counted. Now we were a chartered group that came together and we usually call roll on other dive trips, we also have dive leaders in each group that keep us together and monitor the numbers. We buddy up, but remain a group buddy system as well.

I have to praise our divemaster as we did have a diver, my buddy, as a matter of fact have a serious problem occur that he handled quite well. My buddy experienced severe difficulty breathing on ascent from our first wall dive and when on board did not respond to oxygen, she was grey and began coughing up blood and fluid from her lungs, we had a physician in our group who also helped to care for her. We got her to a pier and she was taken to a hospital, where DAN ruled out DCI or that a rapid ascent as the cause. She did ascend faster than our group and I broke surface first after she had and found that a diver from another boat was towing her to our boat, our divemaster came up next and immediately went to assist her onto the boat and stayed at her side the entire time. She was released later that day and told she is never to dive again. This lady is 67 years old with unstable hypertension, what she was diagnosed with was acute pulmonary edema. She was treated with IV Lasix, prednisone and antibiotics. I will say that she never felt too good the rest of the weekend. We were roommates, and I am an RN so I did watch over her and assist her throughout the rest of the time. I checked on her last night and found out she had to go to the emergency room here at home during the day, as her BP was 240/120 then, it later dropped down into the 90's. I will tell you this was a scarey incident that turned out ok, but she was very close to death and it would not have been the dive operators fault as she has not been honest about her health to anyone, not even herself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom