Scuba diving as a family

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sell the 9 year old. May be you'r MOM will go with him and the three of you can have funnn then. Sorry!!! No really the 4 of you should dive! teach the 9er to snorkel. explain everything to him, make him an important part of getting things ready. Then leave him with a really hot sitter while the rest of you dive. Let him help stage gear after you'r dive and do log book's ( if you can break him away form the really hot sitter ). He need's to wait his turn. The key is the hot sitter. You and Dad win too!! I know spank me

Get your and your sister certified. Work on how the three of you can learn diving and buddying. It's complicated with three and really complicated with five. Good to have different levels of skill as you advance. In a year, when you have experience, bring the newly minted 10 year old, then your mom.

Sell the 9 year old. May be you'r MOM will go with him and the three of you can have funnn then. Sorry!!! No really the 4 of you should dive! teach the 9er to snorkel. explain everything to him, make him an important part of getting things ready. Then leave him with a really hot sitter while the rest of you dive. Let him help stage gear after you'r dive and do log book's ( if you can break him away form the really hot sitter ). He need's to wait his turn. The key is the hot sitter. You and Dad win too!! I know spank me

Yo handyman, your sending this to a 13 year old? Isn't this just a little creepy?
:(

Very similar situation as us. My older daughter was certified when she was 11, at that time her sister was 7 years old. Her mum was not certified too at that time. So, when we're scuba diving, they just enjoyed skin diving; then ocean bubble maker when she's 8, at the same time her mum was certified.
Finally, she got her Jr. OW last October when she's 10 - and so far she has logged approx. 50 ocean bubble maker (up to 6 ft) + 25 scuba diving up to 40 ft.
Now, all four us diving together.
Just click the links below my signature for their blogs.

Happy bubble

Hi well I am 13 and i love snorkeling and the ocean.So I decided to take it one step farther and enroll in a PADI scuba diving course.My dad is already certificated my older sister who is 15 is interested in certification and so is my mom.But there is one issue my little brother who is 9 is to young to scuba dive and its not fair to him that we can do it and he cant. :depressed: My mom wont do it since he cant(she says its not fair)

Now me my sister and my dad feel guilty.What should we do?Should we all just stop till he turns 10?Or should him and my mom go skin diving while we scuba dive?What would you do?Ugh I feel so guilty :(

Well if I was your dad I wouldn't let you dive either until you reach 15.
So your question would become irrelevant.

And just for the record although my son was asking to dive from 11 on, I only let him on his 15th birthday.
It just served to increase his enthusiasm and he reached Instructor by 19.

Find out if there are any SSI shops in your area who offer the Scuba Rangers program for your brother. As far as you and your sister go, get into a class soon before your mother/brother talk the family out of scuba (I've seen it happen before).

Depending on the site, dive trips can easily be family fun days at the beach. My seven year old son, wife and I load up the cooler with lunch and snacks and head to the site. While I'm diving with my buddies, my family plays on the beach or go snorkeling. I bring shells and crabs back from my dive to show my son while we eat between dives and tell him about the things I saw. Once he's old enough to take a class, he'll be ahead of the game form being familiar with the gear and knowing what goes into a dive trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom