Scuba-friendly automobile suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thought a lot about the GPA when learning the tediousness of shore entries in Bonaire... don't think the island would enjoy these vehicles though. Must remember to buy better booties for next time.

caveseeker7:
Or, for a few friends with twins and stages:

While I wouldn't want to be the guy in the left picture, I can just see that DUK approaching Avalon, drive up the ramp and on the Point with people throwing fits left and right. :D

The neighbors had an amphibious Weasel when I was a kid and used to dirve it down to, and in, the local lake. Basically the same concept as the Duk but based on a Jeep chassis rather than on a 6x6 truck.

There is also a high performance convertable sports car/boat going into limited production this spring. It looks very sleek and James Bondish, will actually plane and pull a skiier but lists for around $300,000.

It depends upon how many people and how much gear you're toting.

If you're looking for something just for yourself for recreational diving, pretty much anything with a hatch or sliding door will suffice for a day trip. I drive a Tahoe and that can haul up to two technical divers and their gear for a weekend. Beyond that, I need a trailer.

Steven

reefraff:
It depends upon how many people and how much gear you're toting.

If you're looking for something just for yourself for recreational diving, pretty much anything with a hatch or sliding door will suffice for a day trip. I drive a Tahoe and that can haul up to two technical divers and their gear for a weekend. Beyond that, I need a trailer.

Steven

Just ask the people that were diving with me in Deerfield Beach or Tobermory how much gear and how many tanks can fit in a Ford Mustang!

I purchased a 97 subaru legacy a few years ago (the 2.5 gt wagon) and I gotta say, a nicer car I haven't owned. I've maxed it out at 8 tanks, 4 gear bags and 4 divers all going over some pretty muddy and rough tracks (read: Ive Lea for you local folks). I just rolled over 107000Km and aside from regular oil changes etc all I've had to replce so far is the battery.

I would stick with Honda. I really like the CRV's. For there size, there is a surprisingly large amount of interior space. I have only had to transport 2 people with gear but I have had 5 adults easily fit in mine.

I would also 2nd the Touareg. However, they start to get pricey whereas the CRV can be picked up for a little over 20G's

And if you're in a rush to get to those out-of-the-way, off-road sites with just a friend and 2 sets of gear... the Mitsubishi Lancer Evo, or Pajero Evo should do the trick! :lol:

Seriously, any decent double cab pickup would be relatively affordable, and can haul a lot of gear... plus wet gear wouldn't stink up the inside of the cabin.

inter_alia:
This thread will likely quickly turn into a Ford-Chevy argument but I'll risk it.
I am in the market for a new car and since I've been in a Honda Civic (the antithesis of a scuba-friendly automobile, IMHO) for three years, I'm looking at better options. Never one to care much about what I drive (obviously), I should say appearance isn't my primary concern. Neither is an enormous engine or AWD. I want to haul tanks, gear, a friend or two and be as comfortable as possible when doing this.
As a starting point, I'm considering (oh no) the Honda Element. It's so ugly I can't resist but want to know if scubaboard has any suggestions.

Thanks!

Love my RAM 1500 Quad Cab - I can carry up to 6 people & I still have lots of room in the box area (6ft). It's great for gear - we hauled 6 sets of doubles, 4 singles & 4 people c/w camping gear last summer & there was still plenty of room so that we could bring a full sized bbq.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom