scuba gear - carry on or check-in ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for a great explanation, Rick. Ralph, Im going to read the links you post with great interest, as a very frequent flyer (a lot of which is with UA), I need to be ready to deal with such cr*p....

:fury:

HI,
I just got back from a 4 night trip so I'm a bit late on a response here.
I think Rick really had the correct information.
And as far as United, Hm I'm not surprised. Although I recently took my equipment on a ATA flight and they were more amazed at the reg, then anything, in security, and didn't mind at all.
Most of my group dive trips are split 50/50 on this one.
Some like to pack everything in thier regular luggage, and not in dive marked bags,and check it all, and some must carry on their reg and computer, and camera.
I have done it both ways. I have carried the reg, I have packed the reg, it has always arrived without a problem. The cabin pressure is the same, like Rick stated.
I always carry on my camera. I just have to be sure I have underwater pics. I use a dive watch and I wear it.
I just always say a prayer over everything I hand over to them. And I mark my bags with bright colored yarn and give the same yarn to everyone in the group. I think this way, if one bag is sitting by itself on the tarmac, maybe the baggage handlers will realize it has the same yarn as all the other bags, and belongs on this flight.
Hope I helped, without getting off the subject.
:sunny:

I carry my regulator bag and camera case and check my dive bag. I had a security attendant in Nassau almost not let me carry my regs through. I honestly don't think she knew what they were.

Tom

Having read united's list of what is scuba gear there are several points that struck me

1) they let you take a tank!! The official IATA (International Airline Transport Association) line is that tanks are dangerous. If you look on most tickets it excplicitly sais that tanks are not allowed. The european (and US) airlines that I have flown with (BA, AirFrance, Lufthansa, KLM, Continental, American...) all follow the IATA guidelines.

2) Ditto for the speargun.

3) 25$ US excess baggage for an UW camera!!!! How many photographers have you seen with camera setups that takeup more space than the rest of their kit put together - most of them! Usually for a serious camera you are talking about £400 - $550 excess for a decent camers system.

Having seen that, I actually think that United are being fairly (OK exceptionally) good to divers. They just need a little education on the reg. issue.

As for the check/cabin issue there are several thoughts, one is to heavily insure and then check in everything (but avoid flying through Washington as it is the worlds worst airport for theft from checked in lugguage).

However, regs and computers are delicate. The other thought is that if at all possible have them in you hand bagguage. Have you seen how they load and unload aeroplanes? (if you pay peanuts - you get monkeys) If they do try and take them off you try and get them placed with the cabin crew, explain in great detail that it is exceptionally delicate and worth thousands of dollars... Most good airlines do this. Last time I flew (BA) they said that it was a dangerous item... I kicked up a fuss and had it treated as a 'basket of eggs' by the BA staff, and it flew with the cabin staff.

Jon T

PS appologies to anyone here who is/was/has been an airport bagguage handler - no offence was meant.

Hey, Gaucho,

You are beginning to look like an Iguana Don type! I think that is a compliment???

I always put my reg and camera in my carry-on bag. Why? Because they are expensive items, they can be "seen" with A/P checked baggage x-rays and are, therefore, a target for theft, and, I want them when I dive. I would not like to replace other gear, but my other gear is more "replaceable".

I fly United a lot and have never had an experience like Senor Cohn. That sounds absolutely bizzare! Well, Logan A/P...maybe the United guys had spent too much time in the Callahan Tunnel?

However, I sure have spent a lot of time at the O'Hare Hilton thanks to United. If only there were good scuba in Lake Michigan!!!

Joewr

I always carry-on my regs, computers, camera, and mask. Everything else gets checked in an unmarked bag.

I don't recall ever flying on UA, but I'd imagine it depends on which employee you happen to draw. Call it luck of the draw. On our recent trip to Hawaii, we got pulled aside by security as we went through the X-ray machine. They sifted through the bag, asked what the reg and camera was (guess he had never seen a housed camera before), packed all back up and sent us on our way. Interestingly, Delta, the airline we were on, has a fee for scuba gear. Course I didn't mention that and neither did he. We have went through the Memphis airport several other times with the same gear and that was the first time we were stopped, go figure.

Did United ship the tanks with valves and full? Or did you have to drain the tank and ship without the valve?

What is a bolo....?

Also, Im afraid I dont understand the comparison to Iguana Don either.

Gaucho

I travel from Hawaii to Fla. every eight weeks. I don't always take my dive gear to Fla. with me, but when I do, the reg. and computer goes on the plane with me. They get packed in a small backpack and are wrapped in a lightweight jacket that also gets used on those looooong cold redeye flights.
I also take my U/W camera as carry on.

Thanks, Ken

Tanks must have less than 41 psi to be legally shipped. I think some divers pull the valve because that makes it easy to prove the tank is not pressurized.

Ralph

Back
Top Bottom