Scuba Gear Package Shopper

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SohoDozo

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, from Hong Kong. Recently acquired my PADI license and I have the free time and the access to diving areas around Asia, so I thought I would buy my own gear, within reason.

I notice that some shops and some online stores sell scuba gear packages, some of them quite cheap (reasonable). My budget is within US$400 to US$1000 for a package that consists of regulator, BCD, dive computer, pressure gauges, compass.

I have seen some Mares packages for only US$460-US$640. I have seen some others, like Genesis, for a little more.

My problem: how do I know that I am getting a good deal? What makes a good regulator? What makes a good BCD? Why spend 800 if I can spend 450 and still get the same basic structure and access to underwater fun?

If anyone has any Consumer Reports ideas to give me, I would appreciate it. Trying to collect data.

I live by the maxim, simple is best, but I do know that in some areas, spending a little more gives you comfort, style, ease of use and other benefits.

:confused:

The reply I suspect you'll get from most people here is that you should consider renting for a while before buying gear. That'll give you the chance to try many different makes and types of gear, especially if you're travelling, which will help you determine what you like. If you aren't going to wait, consider hitting a Local Dive Shop if you have one for the gear. Fit and comfort is generally the most important attribute of dive gear, and that's something you can't determine over the web.

I suspect you'll ignore both of these points, and get stuff over the net anyways. I know I'm feeling the temptation starting to pull at me and I haven't even completed my certification yet. :jester:

Scubadiving.com has some really good reviews on equipment. Also the people on this board know alot about the different gear. Look at the equipment boards for more info.

Eric,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom