Scuba Gear Travel Bag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mason417

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am new to traveling by airplane, trying to see how and in the world can I fit all my stuff and stay under the baggae sizes and weights. I have a A.L. Pro QD BCD (xl), 3mil wetsuit (xl), A.L. Blades Flex 2 Fins (giant size). plus various other equipment and clothes to as well. How do you all do it? I know to bring Reg's and computer on the carry on.

I am new to traveling by airplane, trying to see how and in the world can I fit all my stuff and stay under the baggae sizes and weights. I have a A.L. Pro QD BCD (xl), 3mil wetsuit (xl), A.L. Blades Flex 2 Fins (giant size). plus various other equipment and clothes to as well. How do you all do it? I know to bring Reg's and computer on the carry on.
I pack all my dive gear and some of my camera gear in checked luggage. The wetsuit serves as great packaging material to protect anything on the fragile side. I carry on most of my camera gear in a normal carry-on bag. I don't worry about my stuff while I travel, nothing has ever happened to it in transit. My bags have been delayed twice and never lost in the last twenty years. Your computer, your regulators, and the rest of your stuff are all pretty durable and will survive checked luggage with no problem. I check a 10-inch glass dome port and haven't broken it yet.

Travel like a civilized person--consider a white oxford shirt from Brooks Brothers to set yourself apart from the logo t-shirt crowd and their pelican cases. :D

I use the Aqualung 850 travel bag. Only weighs about 8lbs, is a roller style duffle bag. Very roomy inside. It is a bit on the pricey side, but with a replacement warranty, even if the airlines tear it up,...... can't complain too much.

Personally I carry on my prescription masks, regulators & computers.

I am new to traveling by airplane, trying to see how and in the world can I fit all my stuff and stay under the baggage sizes and weights. I have a A.L. Pro QD BCD (xl), 3mil wetsuit (xl), A.L. Blades Flex 2 Fins (giant size). plus various other equipment and clothes to as well. How do you all do it? I know to bring Reg's and computer on the carry on.

I carry on the following in a standard non-scuba specific rolling Cary-on

• BC
  • Regulator
  • Dive computer
  • Prescription mask
  • Batteries for lights etc.
  • Misc small stuff (retractors etc.)
Separate carry-on shoulder bag
  • Camera equipment
  • Laptop (if I bring it at all)
Any other scuba gear goes in checked luggage.

I carry on the following in a standard non-scuba specific rolling Cary-on

• BC
  • Regulator
  • Dive computer
  • Prescription mask
  • Batteries for lights etc.
  • Misc small stuff (retractors etc.)
Separate carry-on shoulder bag
  • Camera equipment
  • Laptop (if I bring it at all)
Any other scuba gear goes in checked luggage.

BC fits on a carry on? What size and model is your BC?

I have an Akona travel bag... fins in the side pockets, everything else inside. Weight fully packed was 47lbs. Carry on was the camera gear and regs. Tucked in the bottom of the checked bag is the boat bag to take on board. Seemed to work out ok, and didn't lose anything.

I check in everything except for my computer - and camera if I'm taking one.

I've got a solid-structure large dive wheel/trolley bag (black with no "dive gear in here" logos emblazened on it). It has fin pockets on the side - really handy if you're squeezed for room.
In order to maximise space and cushion the dive equipment, I place items like towels and wrinkle-proof clothing under and around equipment. BC can wrap around clothing s well.
You have to be a bit creative with space - put socks inside your booties or use undergarments as wrapping for photo equipment etc.

I suppose I'm unusual, because I carry on more than most.

I use an ordinary soft-sided duffel that conforms to the airline max dimensions. (No wheels, though.)

I carry on my reg, mask, Zeagle Brigade BCD (size large), 3 mm wetsuit (also large), and snorkel.

Yes, it's a tight fit. No, it's not too heavy (and I'm a not-real-fit 61 year old).

I'd rather lug a full carry-on than get to my vacation destination and find that my equipment isn't with me.

Ron

Here's how I do it.

I can fit my BC, fins, booties, mask, and reg into this bag: Welcome to AKONA Adventure Gear!

I use that as my carry-on because it will easily fit into the overhead bin. For my personal item I can fit my computer, a camera, passport, and any other essentials I need to make sure it arrives.

Then I put my clothes, wetsuit, and whatever into a checked piece of luggage. I have plenty of room for extra scuba gear like a mask/masks, spare hoses, lights, etc. I have always had this thing about diving with my own gear so I like to carry it on to make sure it gets there with me and have never had a problem with using the mesh bag and carrying on my gear.

Back
Top Bottom