Scuba geocache

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mudchick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,

I read an article in Alert Diver about underwater geocaching and thought it sounded like a blast. I've done land based caching and was wondering if there were any caches at lake pleasant. I couldn't find any info on geocaching.com on underwater caches in the area. Is anyone out there interested in this activity?

Thanks

Dunno about all that, but I'd be willing to give it a try! Never dove there. What about Lake Mohave? Do you think there is some there too?

I'm trying to tag along with my LDS and their upcoming trip there too.

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

:cheers:
Paul

I have thought about this. The hard part will be finding the coordinates on the water. Unless you use a boat you will need to bring a waterproof GPS and some kind of depth resistant box. My Etrex Venture (original) is waterproof, but only to 1m for an hour.

Treasure chest. On the rail off Vista Point. There are other possibilities as well. We only have to get creative.

PD

I have thought about this. The hard part will be finding the coordinates on the water. Unless you use a boat you will need to bring a waterproof GPS and some kind of depth resistant box. My Etrex Venture (original) is waterproof, but only to 1m for an hour.

Actually, all you have to do is provide land based coordinates and a compass heading and distance from that spot. It makes it a little more interesting by incorporating underwater navigation with the geocaching activity.

Treasure chest. On the rail off Vista Point. There are other possibilities as well. We only have to get creative.

PD

I look forward to finding that some day! Every time I've been in the VIC, I went into a 'cloud' - good thing the rail was there.

What kind of things should we leave? I'm thinking a few giant crystals will appeal to the women.

Actually, all you have to do is provide land based coordinates and a compass heading and distance from that spot. It makes it a little more interesting by incorporating underwater navigation with the geocaching activity.

:rofl3: I can just see some nose-breathers drive up, and stand on the shore looking perplexed!

:shocked2: Heck, given the depth differences in the lake, I can see ME standing on the shore looking perplexed!

Lessee, land stride on down-hill is 28", so distance to the water is 31 strides * 28" = 868", so 24 yards, to the water, now in the water . . . wait, what was that distance again?

It sounds like there may be some interest here. I'm told there are some spots available at geocaching.com but couldn't find anything pertinent unless I bought the upgraded membership and I didn't want to do that unless there was some interest or some helpful info for the area. I've done some land caching and it's fun. Looking for stuff underwater has to be a great challenge. And I would think a good opportunity for instructors to teach navigation (something I need to work on) and search and recovery techniques as well as something for solo divers.
Does anybody know anything about JP's Treasure Hunts? I found the wbsite but it didn't seem to have been updated in a while and I wasn't going to give any payment info ($5/month) unless I knew things were maintained. And may not anyway when standard geocaching is essentially free.

I read about this before. I'll try and find the article later. I've done a lot of land based geocaching, and I think it would be awesome to do some underwater. Althouigh I imagine it would be difficult in the low vis that I normally dive.

I think this would be a great idea. Especially if it was based on some type of UW Navigation skills.

With the lake level changing throughout the year, it may require some work as the level drops significantly.

In the DT area, there is a little channel that runs out to about 60 - 70 feet right now. Someone could set a course with a couple turns to get the the cache location.

I will look at this at the end of June. I have some friends that are reps for some of the dive manufacturers. Maybe I can get some gear donations or discounts at least.

Scott

Reactions: Jax
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom