Question Scuba hydro pro vs Apeks exotec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sagy101

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi looking to upgrade my bcd. Don’t wanna go into the whole backplate wing etc setups so please…

Both are probably very reliable and durable so I don’t think that’s an issue.

The hydros pro looks better to me, it’s looks more comfortable, dries quick, folds relatively compact.

but two thing bother me: 1. Slightly sluggish weights pulling system. 2. No pockets ( yes I saw the ninja pockets, they seem kinda clumsy and ofc I can solve this with a thigh pocket but still).

Both of those issues the exotec solves. But It seems to be worse on all other accounts, at least from what I researched.

Would like some input, thanks 🙏🏻

1. Slightly sluggish weights pulling system.

SP weight pockets and their buckles have been the most reliable weight pockets in decades. They don't come off by accident, they are easy to pull out and certainly don't drop out of the pocket into the ocean on their own. You can decide if you are dropping them or just going to hand them to the divemaster on the boat. They don't have handles that stick out and get caught on other things or break or not work when they needed to work. No recalls of any kinds in more than two decades.

SP weight pockets and their buckles have been the most reliable weight pockets in decades. They don't come off by accident, they are easy to pull out and certainly don't drop out of the pocket into the ocean on their own. You can decide if you are dropping them or just going to hand them to the divemaster on the boat. They don't have handles that stick out and get caught on other things or break or not work when they needed to work. No recalls of any kinds in more than two decades.
So your saying the little click to release is a positive not a negative.
I guess it just takes a lil practice unlike other systems.

So you would go with the hydro’s? What’s your thoughts on the exotec?

I've owned a Hydros and an AquaLung Dimension which has some similar features to the Exotek including the "Surelock" weight pockets and wrapture harness

Hydros

Plusses
- weight pockets easy to insert and don't fall out
- rubber harness is very sticky - does not shift around
- comfortable in water
- packs small for travel

Minuses
- ninja pockets are a little small and hard to use in the water
- rubber harness is very sticky - harder to don and doff

Dimension

Plusses
- wrapture harness very comfortable on land. Distributes weight between shoulders and hips - good for long walks to shore entries
- pockets on dimension are big and low on hips. Easy to access underwater
- well thought out Octo and SPG holder

Minuses
- the SureLock weight pockets should be called "Sure Loss" they are hard to get in and very easy to get only half clicked in so they dislodge mid dive (or as soon as you giant stride in) You must check them 5 times before getting in
- Very bulky to pack for travel

The weight pocket issue is what finally drove me to replace my Dimension with the Hydros , but it did give me a good run of 400+ dives.

So your saying the little click to release is a positive not a negative.

It definitely is and has been for over twenty years.

I guess it just takes a lil practice unlike other systems.

It may takes a little to get used to it but not much. Just make sure that you can reach it and unclip it with your gloves on and without having to look down to find it. Do this out of the water few times until you are proficient in doing it.

So you would go with the hydro’s?
Most definitely but I haven't used the Aqua Lung BC you are asking about. I just know that the AquaLung SureLock mechanism is unreliable and was recalled at least once. I have it in other models and don't like it at all. The Scubapro mechanism is much simpler and most reliable.

I've owned a Hydros and an AquaLung Dimension which has some similar features to the Exotek including the "Surelock" weight pockets and wrapture harness

Hydros

Plusses
- comfortable in water
- packs small for travel

Minuses

Dimension

Plusses
- wrapture harness very comfortable on land. Distributes weight between shoulders and hips - good for long walks to shore entries

Minuses
- the SureLock weight pockets should be called "Sure Loss" they are hard to get in and very easy to get only half clicked in so they dislodge mid dive (or as soon as you giant stride in) You must check them 5 times before getting in

The weight pocket issue is what finally drove me to replace my Dimension with the Hydros , but it did give me a good run of 400+ dives.
Well the weight system being unreliable is a definite no for me.

I guess I can use a thigh pocket to solve the hydros pocket issue.

I’m also trying to somewhat reduce my gear footprint for travel so…

Guess I will go hydros pro.
Tnx

Hydros

Plusses
- comfortable in water
- packs small for travel

Minuses

Dimension

Plusses

Minuses

Excellent comparison between the two. Matches my opinions also.

I've not seen the apeks. The hydros is just not my cup of tea. Besides being ridiculously expensive, it's not simple enough for me.
As far as pockets go, I've yet to see any bc with decent pockets. Even before having a rotator cuff injury, all of the ones I tried were inconvenient and some damn near impossible to use.
Which is why I glued thigh pockets to every wet suit I own and all three drysuits came with them.

The hydros pro looks better to me, it’s looks more comfortable, dries quick, folds relatively compact.
I just bought a Hydros after thinking I would never spend $1k+ on a BC. After using 3 different BCs over the years (they never quite fit right), I absolutely love it. The fit is great, the chest strap's location on the harness is adjustable (chest strap is a plus for me), and it packs well for travel. Comes with a backpack that can hold the BC and reg. You can strap fins to the outside. The backpack weighs very little, so it's not using up weight for gear. Bought it while diving off the NC coast when I was annoyed with what I was wearing. The shop made sure the BC fit me and I used it on the next dive. No buoyancy issues at all. Highly recommend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom