Trip Report Scuba Luis and Casa del Mar, Dec. 31 to Jan 7

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guitarcrazy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Trip Report Cozumel Dec 31 to Jan 7

We decided to take our grown kids to Cozumel for our Christmas trip this year. We have been many times before, usually staying at an all-inclusive resort. My daughter is a foodie, and wanted to stay somewhere cheaper and pick nice restaurants in town for meals. We chose Casa del Mar based on location, reviews, and cost.

Casa del Mar is fairly close to downtown, about a 45 minute walk if you are feeling energetic. Short cab rides weren’t too expensive, about $12 for the 5 of us. When we arrived the check-in went smoothly, and they gave us room 125, close to pool. The room was very small, with 1 bed and a small bathroom. My daughter was in a larger room initially, with 2 beds. We inquired about the possibility of moving to larger rooms, and they accommodated us the following day. My daughter moved to 124, which was a corner room. It was easily 3 to 4 times larger than 125. We moved to 324, which was same size as 124, but with a refrigerator. They did not charge anything extra for 124, and only ended up charging us $12 per day for 324, which was well worth the extra cost.

The beds are firm as advertised, but we did not have any problem sleeping. The hotel is on the small side, which is nice. There was never a crowd at the pool or restaurant, and you didn’t have to fight to get a lounger like most of the AI resorts. The food in the restaurant was pretty decent, although we ate out most meals. We rented a car from the hotel, and it was very easy and affordable.

We dove with Scuba Luis for the first time. We used to dive with another operator, but our favorite DM was now at Scuba Luis, so we decided to go with them for this trip. My daughter’s boyfriend was not certified, so we arranged for him to get his open water on this trip. They have 2 boats, a smaller 6 pack with one motor, and a larger 12 pack with twin outboards. Most of the trip we were on the larger boat with 8 to 9 divers, but one day we did have 12 on the boat, which was cramped. The DMs, Raymundo and Martin are both excellent, and we had very fun dives with lots of wildlife. In February we had a bit of a hairy dive with a different operator, but we were very satisfied with the safety of the diving this trip. We did 11 dives with one being a night dive.

We were fortunate this trip to see multiple nurse sharks on multiple dives, loads of splendid toadfish, a few eagle rays, a large seahorse, and the highlight was a close encounter with a hammerhead shark at Palencar Caves on our last day. My son wanted to do some surfing so we booked a surf session with Machito Surf for one of the days. There isn’t much surf in Cozumel, but we still had fun riding the 2 foot waves for a few hours.

For restaurants we went to a few of our usual favorites, Kondesa, Guidos, New Especias, and some new ones like Palomar, La Mission, Tikila, Coco Café, and Paprika. Lunch at Palomar was good, but nothing especially noteworthy. We were not impressed with La Mission, but it seemed everywhere we went someone recommended it. Maybe we didn’t order the right foods. We read some poor reviews of Tikila and Paprika, but they were right next door to the hotel so we tried them anyway. We were all pleasantly surprised by both. After our night dive Tikila was the only place still open and we were all pleased with the food. We had fish tacos the next day at Paprika, and they were very tasty. We went back to Paprika for our final breakfast before flying home, and the breakfast was excellent. We also had coffee and breakfast at Coco Café earlier in the trip, and it was also very good.

All in all it was another great trip to Cozumel. It seems we are rarely disappointed in the food or diving, and it is impossible to beat the value offered there.

Attachments

• _1010527.jpg
    _1010527.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_3837.jpg
    IMG_3837.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_3840.jpg
    IMG_3840.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_3843.jpg
    IMG_3843.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_3858.jpg
    IMG_3858.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_3862.jpg
    IMG_3862.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_3895.jpg
    IMG_3895.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_3898.jpg
    IMG_3898.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_3916.jpg
    IMG_3916.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_3925.jpg
    IMG_3925.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_3938.jpg
    IMG_3938.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_3957.jpg
    IMG_3957.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_3983.jpg
    IMG_3983.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_3996.jpg
    IMG_3996.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_3998.jpg
    IMG_3998.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 74
Thanks for the report! I really enjoyed diving with Raymundo when he was with another dive op. He is amazing at finding the critters. I completely agree with your findings with La Mission. If you had to chose between Guidos or New Especias, which one is better?

We like both, but most said if they had to choose they would go with New Especias. The menu at Guidos has more items, but what New Especias offers, they do really well.

Here is a link to the hammerhead video. This was taken by one the members of our dive group. Her video was better than mine anyway as she got it when it was approaching and my video starts when she had already passed in front of me. It was an unexpected, and awesome experience.

Nice report. I stayed at Casa del Mar the exact same time and dove the whole week but sadly didn't see the hammerhead. I really liked the hotel. Also, Casa Mission is way better then La Mission.

I agree, Casa Mission is better than La Mission. We haven't been there to visit the Abuela in a few years so we should go back next time.

Thank you for sharing your report, wonderful pictures of the water creatures I miss terribly, AND the stunning hammerhead video clip! NICE!!!

Awesome report, sounds like a great trip.

I like the green turtle picture with the diver in background. Very cool.

Thanks for taking the time to post.

We were also there at the same time with grown (ish) kids. Crazy that you saw that Hammerhead. I had heard that people were seeing one, but we weren't so lucky. Thanks for the report.

Thanks for sharing....especially the hammerhead video. My group got a glimpse of it last week but I missed it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom