Scuba Philippines | MacromateMini, Cyan Filter, Archon Lights, Flip3.1 on SRP Tray

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrTW

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi there,

Sharing a video filmed with a MacroMate mini lens and Archon Lights on SRP tray.

Happy about the quality using the macro lens together with the lights. Though it is a pain to switch between the various Gopro settings on the fly between macro and non-macro shooting.

Pictures taken in high resolution using the macro lens also came out surprisingly well.

Overall, I am happy with the lights and found myself not using the Cyan filter as much anymore. I will not go diving without lights anymore.

The Flip 3.1 system is working really well and makes it easy to switch between the Cyan and macro lenses.

Equipment used:
• GoPro Hero 4
• Snake River Prototyping Cyan Filter 55mm
• Backscatter MacroMate Mini 55mm
• Backscatter FLIP3.1
• Archon D11V Lights
• Mounted on a Snake River Prototyping Tray

Dive Resort: www.buceoanilao.com (EXCELLENT EXCELLENT!!!)

Thanks for any feedback.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wonderful video....many many thanks for posting...am off to Buceo Anilao in February...sooo excited.

Best fishes

Wonderful video....many many thanks for posting...am off to Buceo Anilao in February...sooo excited.

Best fishes

You will have great fun at Buceo. Great resort, very new and they really try to make your stay pleasurable.

Diving was very very good. I have been diving around Philippines for a few years now and in different parts. I feel that Anilao is one of the best spots I have seen so far.

Have fun - I will be back in November and diving in Puerto Galera. Beautiful Philippines!

What an inspiring video. I had written off the idea of using macro in my dive video logs, but now I want to reconsider...
You did a great job!

What an inspiring video. I had written off the idea of using macro in my dive video logs, but now I want to reconsider...
You did a great job!

Thank you Pearlman.

This was my first attempt at macro and once you get the hang of the adhoc gopro settings (switching between macro video and standard video) and the right distance to the object (too far and too close run the shot) the footage is quite good.

I really recommend investing into the Flip3.1 setup. The heavy macro lens will stay out of your way if you don't need it and you can quickly flip over the red filter.

Apart from that: lights are a must and I will never go without them now.

I see you are going to Bali in October - I will be diving around Komodo in November. Have fun and share your footage after your return :)

Great video...can I ask what settings you had to Gopro set to ? Bobbit worm like something out od science fiction.

Thank you :)

My macro settings were:
- 1080 resolution
- 60 Frames per Sec
- FOV set to narrow
- all other settings Off

I switched to 1080 SuperView without macro but kept the 60 Frames per Sec on all other shots. Just ensure you have good lights as this is key with macro.

Actually, the still pictures with macro came out really nice as well.

Mr Bobbit took a long time to film as we needed to lure in the little fish first. Probably took us three divers around 20 minutes to get that shot but it was well worth it. The 60 frame per sec mode ensures that the slow motion comes out ok. That is the reason why I always shoot in 60 fps mode. Though I think I overdid it when stitching the footage together with the 15% flux reduction (kinda looks blurry).

Thanks for the feedback :)

WOW - you captured some fantastic footage. That seahorse clip is amazing. Thanks so much for sharing this.

I have nearly the same set-up = SRP tray, Backscatter 3.1 flip system (although I have the BS filters), Macromate mini. A few questions for you:

- Were you using a tripod for any of these shots or resting the tray on the bottom? The stability in your footage is fantastic
- I am amazed how close you were able to get to some of the critters (particularly the Lionfish), knowing that when using the Macromate mini you need to be just a few inches from your subject. What's your secret?
- I loved the footage of the snail (or nudibranch...not sure what that is) moving across the bottom - is that time lapse or real time?
- The turtle footage at the end - did you shoot that with/without filter(s) and lights? What depth were you at?

Thanks again - loved it!

Chris

Very nice footage. Mind if i ask u what were the distance u shot at for the lion fish and clown fish??

I am having the following items.

Gopro hero 4 silver
A dive tray that is similar to the SRP
POLARPRO red filter
Archon D11V X 2

Would love to take a good video
like i did.

Also, did u ON/OFF the Gopro or u leave it ON all the time??

WOW - you captured some fantastic footage. That seahorse clip is amazing. Thanks so much for sharing this.

I have nearly the same set-up = SRP tray, Backscatter 3.1 flip system (although I have the BS filters), Macromate mini. A few questions for you:

- Were you using a tripod for any of these shots or resting the tray on the bottom? The stability in your footage is fantastic
No, I did not use a tripod. I mostly used buoyancy as putting the tray on the bottom steers up sand and is not always possible (except for the seahorse and the snail). I ended up breathing very light to avoid movement which has the extra benefit of an ultra long dive :)
- I am amazed how close you were able to get to some of the critters (particularly the Lionfish), knowing that when using the Macromate mini you need to be just a few inches from your subject. What's your secret?
I politely bribed the parent fish before filming :p. No, these are mostly night shots and some of the fish are actually very calm and easy to get very close to. The challenge with the macro lens, as you point out, is the need to get really close. Trick is just to be very calm and approach extremely slow. A smile on your face helps too to put the fish at ease :p

- I loved the footage of the snail (or nudibranch...not sure what that is) moving across the bottom - is that time lapse or real time?
That is one of the only scenes without time laps. Most other scenes are with time laps which helps to provide illusion of stability.

- The turtle footage at the end - did you shoot that with/without filter(s) and lights? What depth were you at?
This was shot with the red filter flipped over but no lights. Depths was shallow (I think less then 8 meters)

Thanks again - loved it!

Chris

Truth is that I took A LOT of video during my four dives. The 3+ minutes shown is the result of hours of footage. Fun to take the video.... hard work to sort out the good from the bad.

---------- Post added October 8th, 2015 at 08:37 AM ----------

Very nice footage. Mind if i ask u what were the distance u shot at for the lion fish and clown fish??

I am having the following items.

Gopro hero 4 silver
A dive tray that is similar to the SRP
POLARPRO red filter
Archon D11V X 2

Would love to take a good video
like i did.

Also, did u ON/OFF the Gopro or u leave it ON all the time??

Distance with the macro is about 10 to 15 centimeters ... very very close. If too close or too far the footage will be blurry.

I used the polar pro before but would advise to invest in a better red filter as the PP has a very large violet tone to it in my experience.

I have it set to auto off after 5 min I think and just switch back on again. I try to force myself to also enjoy the dive in general and not just film.

Good luck with your video and share once done :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom