Scuba Regulator Maintenance and Repair (Vance Harlow)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikecotrone

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I finished this book a few weeks ago and I was surprised on how much practical detail it has. It was overwhelmingly full of great information which helped me begin using an IP Gauge effectively. I am working towards learning how to service my own regulators, but even after reading this a few times I need to get a few junked regulators to begin practicing on :)

Did this book help you get to the level of servicing regulators? I know begin a service tech or having access to a service tech as a mentor is key probably.

Also I have a question. Can normal customers like me go to service tech training without being affiliated with a dive shop? Apeks for example would be my primary interest.

Most manufacturers require you to be associated with a shop to take their technician courses and even after you get a technician cert will not sell you parts - you must get them through the shop. Or you find em on the reg parts "black market" (otherwise known as ebay), or get a shop who knows you to sell em to you. It's one of the big reasons I'm switching all my regs to HOG as it comes time to service them. I'll use the kits I have, do a full service and then sell the regs. I see no reason why I can change my own brakes on my truck, service 50,000 psi waterjet pumps, and change electrical outlets at home yet some goof will not let me do my own regs. Apeks seem to be one of the ones that you can find kits for fairly easily, the manuals are on frogkick.dk and tools are easy to get from scubatools.

Did this book help you get to the level of servicing regulators? .
QUOTE]

Yes, mainly by way of demystification. They're incredibly simple. Take one apart and look at it.

It helped a lot. I would also suggest "Regulator Savvy" as your second book. Having reg both-several times- I find SRM&R to leans towards the more pratical side (how to) where RS leans more toward the technical side, the how and whys a reg works. The 2 combined give you a much broader knowledge. Learning to swap parts is fairly easy but actually being a reg tech who can fix the difficult stuff takes more understanding of how the reg work.

Did this book help you get to the level of servicing regulators?

Yes. It even helped me an odd probem I hadn't thought of (leaking teensy little balance-chamber-piston O-ring) without replacing the more obvious parts like the seat and other O-rings. So, 15 minute later, my second stage is not leaking and I didn't have to drive somewhere to give it to someone I don't even know, wait for them to fix it and pay them. Instead, I am going diving and I'm not wondering about my second stage. I love the Airstream Press book.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom