SCUBA Sled experience?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Craig Winnerman

Contributor
Reaction score
Do any locals here have any experience with a SCUBA sled. I just found this on Craig's list and picked it up last night. Seeking to located new dive and stone crab spots. If you have ever used one and would like to give me some pointers, that would be awesome. Come take a ride with me.

This is what I want to learn
1. How much rope for given anticipated depth
2. Boat speed to tow
3. Will 3/8" anchor line will work-100 feet enough?
4. Tips on communication between diver and boat driver.
5. Would a scooter ring be advisable or too risky?

Attachments

• sled.jpg
    sled.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Craig, before you buy this, if you have time head up to Narcosis. I don't think it's for sale but they have one hanging from the ceiling. You can check it out, get an idea of how it feels, etc... before spending money on one.

Apparently my reading comprehension doesn't kick in until the 2nd cup of coffee...

Never used one but did research them a little. Check out these sites.

project

Can't tell where the tow rope would attach to yours but they need to be able to pivot in the center. Tow speed cannot exceed 3 knots, I would think closer to 1 knot would be ideal so you can actually get to look around.
The main problem with one is the strain on your arms. You can add an extra length of line from the center of the sled and attach to a short length of 2" dia PVC pipe, which you would use sort of as a seat between your legs to take the strain off your arms.
Definitely try it with mask and snorkel first until you get the hang of it. It would be real easy to embolize if you surfaced too quickly with scuba. I know some people use them in the keys with snorkel gear to find lobster in the shallow flats.

Do any locals here have any experience with a SCUBA sled. I just found this on Craig's list and picked it up last night. Seeking to located new dive and stone crab spots. If you have ever used one and would like to give me some pointers, that would be awesome. Come take a ride with me.

This is what I want to learn
1. How much rope for given anticipated depth
2. Boat speed to tow
3. Will 3/8" anchor line will work-100 feet enough?
4. Tips on communication between diver and boat driver.
5. Would a scooter ring be advisable or too risky?

I've used one that was a wing shaped board with hand hold slots cut in the rear. Worked great and was easy to use. I used polly rope because it floats. 100' to 150' should do it for length. Boat speed should only be a couple of knots. Remember, your face will be under water and too much speed will pull your mask off and flood your snorkel. Have a boat driver looking forward and someone facing you next to the driver who can relay info. Hand signals are easy. Clenched fist means stop, hand flat palm down motioning downward means slow down, thumb up motioning up is speed up and closed fist with fore finger pointing up making a large circle is circle this spot again. Don't even think about tying your person to the sled or rope in any way! I always wore a good sharp knife in a place I could reach no matter what in case I got tangled up. Freediving fins work the best.

I've tried 2 methods both of which were free diving. One with the sled and the other just a rope with a small float. I call the second version "dope on a rope" or mark-r, just ask MissD and DiveBandit. I would be hesitant to try it with scuba gear though.

Be careful with it on scuba, it's easy to go up or down 10 ft real quick.

The boat driver has to understand what really, really, slow means.

I've tried 2 methods both of which were free diving. One with the sled and the other just a rope with a small float. I call the second version "dope on a rope" or mark-r, just ask MissD and DiveBandit. I would be hesitant to try it with scuba gear though.

You were out-voted. It is the state of the art system known as Mark-r :cool2:

Those are cool, once you get a little practice. We used them in the Keys years back to scout for lobsters. As Ean mentined hand signals are quite simple. A yellow polly rope works great since it floats. The rope ratio is hard to tell, we stayed in areas around 40ft. with a 100 foot cord. The one thing that sucked was if you were operating the boat it had to be bumped in and out of gear and that was really boring.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom