SCUBA--sport or hobby

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

texdiveguy

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
When people ask you what you do in your spare time,,,,,and you reply SCUBA diving...... do you think of it more as a sport or hobby??? I know the easy reply is: well 'both',,, but choose just 1 for this discussion.

* I think of it as both but since I am not suppose to say that....I will go with a sport.

Due to the amount of ground I have to cross with my ~60 lbs of gear to make some shore dives (never mind the effort for entry and exit), sport. Definitely sport.

sport [ spawrt ]
noun (plural sports)
1. competitive physical activity: an individual or group competitive activity involving physical exertion or skill, governed by rules, and sometimes engaged in professionally ( often used in the plural )
2. pastime: an active pastime participated in for pleasure or exercise

Second definition of Sport is very close to that of Hobby.

But I'd like to think that Sport is something that will make you fit and strong if done regularly. While being fit helps a great deal for diving to be more enjoyable and safe, diving alone will not make you fit. So my vote is Hobby.

Its like going for a hike in the woods. A pastime?

DennisS:
Its like going for a hike in the woods. A pastime?

LOL... pastime is not one of your choices ,,,,, BUT it is a GREAT pastime!

:wink:

why shouldn't diving help in keeping yourself fit?
you swim a lot, you walk with heavy gear. you carry heavy bags on holiday, you learn to breath differently, etc.

underwater daphne:
why shouldn't diving help in keeping yourself fit?
you swim a lot, you walk with heavy gear. you carry heavy bags on holiday, you learn to breath differently, etc.
It might help somewhat, but alone not enough in my opinion. On surface all you do is haul heavy gear, which is not a good exercise. Underwater, the idea is to work your body as little as possible, be relaxed, etc.

I don't see how diving can make one fit. I'm leaning towards hobby. Although, I play golf too, and thats considered a sport.....i'm confoosed.

Back
Top Bottom