Scuba Suggestions for Hawaii Needed!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I am going to Hawaii for my honeymoon. We are spending most of our time on the Big Island and a few days in Oahu. I have never been to Hawaii to scuba. So I could use some suggestions of where to scuba. Thanks!

Congratulations! Mu husband and I have been to the Big Island 3 time in the past 4 years, most recently for our wedding at the Four Seasons Hualalai. :wink:

We have had good experience with Jack's Diving Locker, but if you do a search on the Hawaii board (just go down a bit further on the ScubaBoard forum page; the Hawaii board is called Hawaii o'Hana and is under the "clubs" heading) you'll find that their are lots of favorite operators and that it's hard to go wrong.

One thing not to miss is the fantastic manta ray night dive!

Jennlg1982:
I am going to Hawaii for my honeymoon. We are spending most of our time on the Big Island and a few days in Oahu. I have never been to Hawaii to scuba. So I could use some suggestions of where to scuba. Thanks!

I suggest Jack's Diving Locker, very friendly people and first class. Airline lost my dive bag the first day and I had a night dive planned. They offered me free equipment and rescheduled the dive for me. They don't mind doing things to make the trip great. We found a pod of Dolphins and they allowed us to watch them for as long as we wanted. For a DM you cannot beat Keller Laros, funny, informative, points out things we would have missed. My 12 year old daughter dives and he spent extra time with her after everyone else was onboard playing with fish and blowing air rings ( she doesn't use much air). Keller also videos the dives. Well worth the price. The dive locations that we did on this trip were Suck em Up and Turtle Pinnacles plus a night dive for Rays. The snorkling is great everywhere and there are turtles every where also. The fish are so friendly we had to move them back from the camera to get a picture.

I hope this helps.

If you want to do some shore diving IMHO the best on the Island is Place of Refuge aka Two Step....Congrats and enjoy your visit!

Jennlg1982:

Aloha and Congratualtions!

When is your big day? ( We are getting married in 30 days!!! :11: time flies)

You might want to check out this link where some of the locals have entered a few of their favorite dive sites and some links to dive info.

Here is a list of a few of the local operators.

Aloha
Lisa

ShakaZulu:
Yes, yes, YES! Grab a couple 'o tanks each from any shop, toss 'em in the back of your rental car, print out the shore diving sites from shorediving.com and have at it!
You can start at the ever-crowded Place of Refuge, then hit some of the more remote sites, like Puako Church (my favorite), and more. Last year I made 4 boat dives and 14 shore dives and enjoyed the shore dives the most. Remote, beautiful, turtles, whale songs, paradise...

Jennlg1982:

Hi, Try the Manta night Dive on the Big Island. Also, Huggos is a very romantic place to eat in Kona with tables right above the surf breaking. Piano, music just right. Great underwater photography on the walls. If you rent a car, Waimea (sp?) is my favorite town--cool crisp air, lots of horses, artsy little places. Magnificant ocean views but at some altitude. MA-ma's is a little cool place to eat in Waimea in an old house with this Hawaiian lady who is an incredible cook. Very funky, if you like unique places. Trust me, it would be a great little day trip.

Honolulu---if you dive just once or twice, I would suggest YO257 wreck or the Corsair or something in Hawaii Kai. Easy, convenient. They are both deep sites but if you would like a more pedestrian one, try booking in the afternoon, thats when most of the operators do the shallow dives. Congratulations!

Back
Top Bottom