Scuba Swap 2017 - 25th Annual

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ok so i was at scuba swap 2017 and overall.. i appreciate the event and purpose ................

That's a fair assessment. I'll give some of this reply as an opinion while wearing my past-attendee hat, and some as the role I play as part of the team that puts this show together each year.

There is some older stuff that gets put out, some of it not so gently worn either. However, you can look at this for a great opportunity for newer divers to pick up various gear to try out while they figure out what is right for them. There are lots of its and bits if you need to fill in the cracks of your diving kit. Replacement LP and HP hoses had for 1/10th the price you would pay at your LDS. Whistles / sound makers, weights for cheap, flashlights (backup non-LED lights can be gotten for a song), trinkets, fins, etc. If you have kids, there's gear to match for their growing years for snorkeling and diving, come back each year and grow your gear with your children. I personally checked in a couple dozen pieces of thermal wear (gloves, hoods, hats, beanies, boots) that looked new or almost new that was put at a price of $10 - 15 or so, that would cost someone $20-60 at a dive shop, not including tax.

There is higher end gear (not necessarily Tech) , but if it's a good deal, it goes quick. For this year's show, I personally had a thrice-used Halcyon Traveler's BCD for sale in almost new shape, for sale at about 2/3 the cost of the sticker price, without tax. It sold in the first 10 minutes of the show. My dive buddy sold her Hollis Side mount wing, also in about the same new conditiona, for about 50% of what you would pay for it in your LDS. Someone won, and got high end gear at a great price. This isn't a tech diver's discovery zone so much, and we don't bill it as thus. So yes, the high-end gear is limited.

This show serves as you said, a great Diver's networking and community event, but also as a way to recycle gear inside our community in one shot so it isn't just sitting on a dusty shelf somewhere and gets used as it's makers wanted :)

Glad you came out, hope to see you all next year!

J

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom