Scuba Tank Question PLEASE HELP!!! :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know about vintage equipment so I'm not gonna comment on potential collector value. From a practical modern day standpoint I'm afraid the tanks are pretty much worth their scrap metal price.

The odd thing about them is they appear that they may be aluminum. The flat bottom and no visible signs of rust suggest it. One persons opinon is they may be French made military tanks being U S Divers was getting most of their products from France.

They are early US Divers Broxton Avenue cylinders..issued in early to mid 1950s/ Probably 70s not 72 cuft

Should possibly have "RENE" stamped on the units.

The pig tail section was very common joining unit.

Often one valve/Cylinder had a different wheel installed...When one cylinder was consumed, the diver would reach over his shoulder and turn on the other cylinder- equalize then turn off.. both units then had 1/4 of the original air. The second time the diver turned on the air it was generally time to surface and head for home..

SDM

Sam, could they possibly be aluminum French military tanks that Rene imported for the US Navy. We know USD was suppling the Navy with aluminum tanks in the mid 50's made by PST. Perhaps before that they came from Spiro.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Moved to Vintage area at OP's request

Here is the scoop on the tanks. They were made in France and are aluminum. A shop, Underwater Sports in East Orange, NJ and New Rochelle, NY sold them back in the 50's. My source says he will have more information when he get home.

You are so correct! I didnot pay close atention to the neck configuration..The unique feature of the French Tanks. Next time I will get out the ole magnifing glass before giving an opinion

I had a set of doubles from France just like the two pictured. There was a reason why I could not get them legally filled-- can't recall why...

Loaned them to Nic Icorn about 30 years ago -- He still displays them.

sdm

Back
Top Bottom