Scuba Tank Question PLEASE HELP!!! :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Can anyone please tell me if this is a bonafide scuba tank or if someone took a scuba tank - compressed air and put it with a regular air (that's all it says on the bluish one) for like welding? :confused:

Attachments

• tankpic2.jpg
    tankpic2.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 143
  • tankpic1.jpg
    tankpic1.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 163
  • tankpic3.jpg
    tankpic3.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 130
  • tankpic4.jpg
    tankpic4.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 121
  • tankpic5.jpg
    tankpic5.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 141
  • tankpic6.jpg
    tankpic6.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 128
Are you trying to use either for diving? Because unless there are markings on the gray one that you didn't picture, neither are usable for that.

Hi Jasn,

Excellent example of an early vintage homemade doubles set up. You should ask a MOD to move this thread to the vintage sub forum as that is the place where you will definately get the most information on it.

What little I can tell you is that it looks like both are ST 72's with 1/2" valves. Both have very early yoke assemblies (the grey tank with a J valve) that lead to a single outlet center post.

Very cool set up to some of us, Too bad you didn't live closer to me as I would probably want the valve assembly for display purposes.

Good luck,

Dale.

Hi Jasn,

Excellent example of an early vintage homemade doubles set up. You should ask a MOD to move this thread to the vintage sub forum as that is the place where you will definately get the most information on it.

Very cool set up to some of us, Too bad you didn't live closer to me as I would probably want the valve assembly for display purposes.

Good luck,

Dale.

Thanks Dale! Do you know if it is worth anything if I were to sell it? I got it in a storage auction and have no clue what it is worth?

Are you trying to use either for diving? Because unless there are markings on the gray one that you didn't picture, neither are usable for that.

Grish, you'll have to click on the pictures to see them in large detail. Of of them says US Divers Corp. (the gray one).

To add more about the tanks.

The blue one looks like a dedicated SCUBA tank and the grey one looks like a welding tank but you tell me what the difference is? Back in day SCUBA was not widespread but tanks that held compressed gasses were. Early divers would use what was at hand. Both look to hold about the same amount of gas, have the same thread diameter, probably hold the same pressure etc... At some point a scuba company asked a tank manufacturer to put their brand on the tank and Voila! A SCUBA tank.

The modern practical problem one would have is getting fills from a retail LDS. Some (most?) will not fill 1/2" threads but there are guys who have home compressors and still use 1/2" tanks. If the US divers tank passed Hydro and Vis, and you could find someone to fill it, it would probably still be servicable as would the welding tank (but you may have more problems getting that one through Hydro without markings.

Look under the tanks too, any markings there?

To add more about the tanks.

The blue one looks like a dedicated SCUBA tank and the grey one looks like a welding tank but you tell me what the difference is? Back in day SCUBA was not widespread but tanks that held compressed gasses were. Early divers would use what was at hand. Both look to hold about the same amount of gas, have the same thread diameter, probably hold the same pressure etc... At some point a scuba company asked a tank manufacturer to put their brand on the tank and Voila! A SCUBA tank.

The modern practical problem one would have is getting fills from a retail LDS. Some (most?) will not fill 1/2" threads but there are guys who have home compressors and still use 1/2" tanks. If the US divers tank passed Hydro and Vis, and you could find someone to fill it, it would probably still be servicable as would the welding tank (but you may have more problems getting that one through Hydro without markings.

Look under the tanks too, any markings there?

I never thought to look under them! Great idea! I'll check this weekend it is in a storage unit right now. :) Dale YOU ROCK!!! Thanks for the help!!! :shocked2::cool2:

Thanks Dale! Do you know if it is worth anything if I were to sell it? I got it in a storage auction and have no clue what it is worth?

I don't know what they are worth. I am going to let Captain know about this thread as he knows a lot more than me.

DaleC you are right on target. The blue tank was probably an 02 welding tank at one time that got cleaned for diving use, not uncommon back in the day. The valve handles are a give away. The USD diving tank has a two eared hand wheel, the welding tank has a 4 eared wheel. I had a pigtail yoke like the one the joins the tanks together but, loaned it out and never saw it again. It was rated 2250 if I remember correctly. The bands may be worth something as they will fit AL80's for example and probably others if you use a band stretcher. Check out the prices of bands.

They are early US Divers Broxton Avenue cylinders..issued in early to mid 1950s/ Probably 70s not 72 cuft

Should possibly have "RENE" stamped on the units.

The pig tail section was very common joining unit.

Often one valve/Cylinder had a different wheel installed...When one cylinder was consumed, the diver would reach over his shoulder and turn on the other cylinder- equalize then turn off.. both units then had 1/4 of the original air. The second time the diver turned on the air it was generally time to surface and head for home..

SDM

Back
Top Bottom