Scuba Tank Transporting - Are you safe and legal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ANYTHING that is not secured in the back of a vehicle can turn into a projectile and cause injury in an accident. A friend of mine was in a wreck many years ago and his passenger was nearly killed when the "boom box" they had sitting in the back seat hit the guy in the back of the head. Your patrolman said the tank "flew up" and hit the guy in the head, he didn't say anything about a rupture preceeding the flight. Getting hit in the head by a flying "anything" that weighs as much as a tank is going to screw up your day period.
Ber :lilbunny:

The reason welding tanks are transported vertically is so that the driver/delivery guy can unload and load them...the K

That's not the only reason. Acetylene tanks are transported upright because, unlike other tanks, are welded together and contain a filler material (a baked silica lime slurry)to keep the acetylene from blowing up. Acetylene can explode at pressures over 15 psi. The filler keeps the acetylene (acetone) stable.

One of my dive buddies was stopped by the CHP and the officer noticed the scuba tanks in the back seat. After detaining him for a half an hour and LOOKING for a reason to cite him, he ended up letting him go without citing him, but he did miss the dive boat.

I don't claim to know anything about the legal way tanks should be stowed, but I was reading the TDI visual inspection manual and I remember that the key take-away was that the tanks should be stowed PARALLEL TO THE BUMPER. Reason being that if you got in an accident and the tank were to explode, if the tank was stowed perpendicular to the bumper the tank would move in the same line (ex. either smashing you/passenger in the head or someone behind your car). You would be better off stowing it parallel to the bumper so if you were in an accident the tank would likely shoot out the sides of the car.

I know i'm not really explaining this properly, I'll have to look it up in the manual when I get home and post an excerpt.

dannoee is correct, and it only applies to acetylene tanks. The oxygen tanks can be carried in any position as can any, non-hazardous gas. I drive an SUV (Jeep Liberty) and teh only feasable way to get cylinders in is to lay down the back seat and load them valve forward between my dive tub and my EMT crap (that is always in the back). I guess I could get a little more creative and load them parralel to the bumper, but the rubber maid tub won't fit, I don't think.

The only regs I know of are the hazmat regs. According to my references (I'm reading from documents procured at my last PSI VCI class), cylinders containing compressed gases over 40 psi are considered hazardous materials. If you are commercially transporting over 1000 pounds of compressed gas cylinders (counting the cylinders and their contents), you must have the appropriate documents (licensed hazmat transport operator), the cylinders must be secured in an upright position, the vehicle must be placarded, you can have no passengers.

If you're commercially transporting *any* quantity of cylinders containing gases at 40 psi or greater (including scuba cylinders, emergency oxygen, etc.), you *must* have a manifest on board as to what is being carried. (This applies to dive shops, instructors, or pretty much anyone but a lone, unconnected diver.)

Sadly, I am unable to spend the time reading 49CFR172 and so on in order to provide actual references, however, it seems apparent that if you're not commercially transporting, you're pretty much in the clear. On the other hand, if you have over 1000 pounds of compressed gas cylinders (what is that, almost 30 AL80s?) and you get stopped, you're going to have a hard time arguing that they are for personal use only. (Ha! For once, your logbook might actually come in handy! :D)

How am I going to secure 4 AL80 tanks upright in my Honda Civic. I hope Kansas and Missouri doesn't have similar laws. Would the trunk be secure enough? No way to get smacked in the head during an accident.

Should be no problem whatsoever. Civics are build like tanks.... well~ Humvees anyway.

Wouldn't 4 alu80's be exceeding the load limit for a Civic? Hmmm.

Attachments

• P5030019.jpg
    P5030019.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 819

Back
Top Bottom