ScubaBoard Invasion Central 2024 Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I talked to Al. He's right. I had a feeling my calculations weren't right, or it was a different truck. It would be good to start a different discussion group for truck cost sharing, like we do for 'looking for roomates'. There's going to be many who want to do shore diving. I know I do.
That would be a good idea. As I said earlier in this thread, Terri and I would be more than happy to share the cost of truck.

Do you have any specific info on the rental. I had been looking at their site a few days ago and the AB rental truck I was looking at was going to be about $53 a day. Full coverage and taxes.

Patrick and I do as well

That would be a good idea. As I said earlier in this thread, Terri and I would be more than happy to share the cost of truck.

Got proactive and created a thread for shore diving and truck rentals.

Got proactive and created a thread for shore diving and truck rentals.
Hello. 99% of rental trucks are stick (manual transmission) - I drive stick.
Maybe you may want to add Bonaire 2024 Invasion to the title of this thread?
My son Patrick and I are willing to rent the truck and can fit 2 or 3 more divers in the truck for a total of 5.

Sweet, thanks for opening up the additional slots Dennis! I just spoke to Al on the phone, and have booked as a single diver. I have a friend (not on SB) who might want to bunk with me, or might not. Trying to get the friend to make up his mind today :)

Edit to add: anybody familiar with Bay Area flights have advice for me? Best I'm seeing is United SFO -> MIA, 12 hr night-time layover, MIA -> BON. and then BON -> MIA, 1.5 hr day-time layover, MIA -> SFO. For around $1000 (probably plus another $100 for a hotel in Miami). Can't decide if that's worth booking right away, or better to hold out. SFO, OAK, SJC airports are all fine on the California side. Trying to avoid awful layovers so that I don't show up stumbling tired... willing to get home stumbling tired tho
Hi Brett. I'm also in the Bay Area and signed up for this trip. American Airlines has a ~10 hr flight from SFO to BON. The return only has a 1.5hr layover in MIA; I worry that this won't be enough time to get through customs and check-in again. I'm also not familiar with these routes so IDK about the fares.
1693343809979.png

Re: renting a truck. Al says he can offer $65 per day with full coverage and 0$ deductible for a truck from AB.
I always found AB to be the most reliable co. to rent trucks from on Bonaire.
They also have folks available to come solve problems, if needed.

Hi Brett. I'm also in the Bay Area and signed up for this trip. American Airlines has a ~10 hr flight from SFO to BON. The return only has a 1.5hr layover in MIA; I worry that this won't be enough time to get through customs and check-in again. I'm also not familiar with these routes so IDK about the fares.
View attachment 799913
You be fine, they moved fast last time we did this trip and took only 1/2 hour to get thru customs and back on our connection

Ok, so I'm a total newbie in the group-dive-travel space here, and I"m not sure if this is the *right* space to ask questions? (if not, move it/delete it, all good), but I didn't find a general questions area.

I've been comparing other (local dive-shop/group) deals and SB rules the roost on deals to decent locations, and the thought of racking up 20+ dives per week (in a nice locale) for ~$136/tank has me intrigued (I've been crunching numbers lol - but I did forget truck rental), but I have some questions:

As a "single" diver/traveller (wife won't dive..) do we just get paired up with another random person from the trip in our room?

I mean in all reality I just need a place to sleep/shower/rinse/store my gear...

But what if my roommate and I don't gel/get along?

I mean I try not to be an ass, but what if they hate the sound of my CPAP -- sorry, it's the only way I get good sleep for the past 15 years :sleeping: -- even my wife complains sometimes (and hell, she loves me).

Or maybe *they* snore like a freight train?

Or maybe they have a particular political view they want to go on-and-on-and-on about and I'm just not feeling it?

Whatever the particular case is... what happens then? I mean we're all adults and, yes, there's a certain amount of "suck it up and deal with it" we can do.. but it's also supposed to be a vacation, ya know?

Am I making a mountain out of a mole-hill and we won't be anywhere near our rooms long enough to notice (or too tired to care), or should I just add the single-occupancy fee into my calculations for the next Surge/Invasion, lol.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom