ScubaBoard Invasion Central 2024 Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have never appreciated much difference between the various dive sites on Klien, other than the largest lionfish I have seen on Bonaire seemed to be off the western point of that island.
Most of the sites on Klien were pretty similar, although all had life and good dives.
Which makes me remember to ask another question: when Dale and I were last on Bonaire ( pre-covid) we did a "Lionfish Hunting" special (at Buddy) a "certification" which was required to hunt the pests.
Does anyone know if such a "certification" will allow us to harvest lionfish on this trip?
Thanks for asking. I was wondering myself but didn't get around to posting the question.

I sent the question to Toucan Divers. Will post when I get an update.

Thanks for asking. I was wondering myself but didn't get around to posting the question.

Well it's been a week with no response from Toucan Divers. I'm thinking about posting in the Bonaire Lionfish Hunters FB group to see what they have to say.

I got a response today from the dive shop. Here is their response:

Thank you for your question. Our apologies for our delayed response.

Nice that you will be diving with us together with Scuba board group!

On Bonaire, you are only allowed to go Lionfish hunting when being guided by a local guide. We do offer these dives, a spear and a zookeeper.
The price for a private lionfish guide is $ 75,00 extra, and comes on top of the price of a guided shore dive ($ 75 house reef/$ 95,00 somehwere else) or a 1-tank boat dive ($ 70,00) when you would like to go lionfish hunting from the boat.

If you are interested to plan in a lionfish hunting dive, please let me now.

For $75 I bet we can find more edible lionfish on the land.....
Bottom line is Bonaire is adamant about protecting their reef from spearfishing.
I can respect that.
Bonaire'll tolerate a few of us, under supervision, to allow folks to make a good profit, but it is strictly Pay- to-Play, pay as you go, and always under some DM's supervision (for whatever that may be worth..)

Received a email from United that the flight from IAD (Washington) to EWR (Newark) has changed to IAD to IAH (Houston)... and instead of arriving at 1:26 BON time, it arrives 5:54pm. Anyone else?

I got a response today from the dive shop. Here is their response:

Thank you for your question. Our apologies for our delayed response.

Nice that you will be diving with us together with Scuba board group!

On Bonaire, you are only allowed to go Lionfish hunting when being guided by a local guide. We do offer these dives, a spear and a zookeeper.
The price for a private lionfish guide is $ 75,00 extra, and comes on top of the price of a guided shore dive ($ 75 house reef/$ 95,00 somehwere else) or a 1-tank boat dive ($ 70,00) when you would like to go lionfish hunting from the boat.

If you are interested to plan in a lionfish hunting dive, please let me now.

That sounds very tempting but I'm just going to end up like Ralphie...

1699541378685.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom