ScubaBoard Invasion Central 2024 Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The dry box advice became even more important when the keys to the rental trucks became electronic chip keys.
You cannot safely leave the key hidden in or near the truck on Bonaire, and unlike when we first began shore diving on Bonaire, you can no longer just clip the metal key to your bcd or harness, if you want it to work later.
( I once personally discovered just how vulnerable [useless junk] those keys can become when I accidentally put a rental truck key in my swimsuit pocket, while diving in FL, and forgot it... :( )

Just watched both videos. Good information! Never been to Bonaire... getting excited!!!

One question. My booties are soft on the bottom.. is it really that big of an issue?

Just watched both videos. Good information! Never been to Bonaire... getting excited!!!

One question. My booties are soft on the bottom.. is it really that big of an issue?
It can be. Your feet are probably tougher than most, but some of the rocks can be quite sharp, and hard to spot in the waves..

^^ Thanks. I was wondering if all that sturdy sole stuff is more for those that are not used to being barefoot (and have strong feet and ankles), or actually good advice.

^^ Thanks. I was wondering if all that sturdy sole stuff is more for those that are not used to being barefoot (and have strong feet and ankles), or actually good advice.
Of all those I know, Jenny, you will probably have the toughest feet, but it remains wise advice.
An option, far less $ than buying heavier sole dive boots just for Bonaire, would be to bring a decent pair of durable saddles (as shown in Roxanne's video).
We have had folks show up on Bonaire with full foot fins, and gotten them to adapt, by wearing sandals for the entry and exit, clipping them on to their rig while diving.

Another bit of "wisdom" that might help some, if you have back or stability issues, is that you might get a healthier, stronger buddy to carry your tank and rig either to the shore, or even into the water, where it can be donned with ease.
Colleen's bad back has made such accommodations necessary.
If you have trouble walking with the weight of your tank on your back, maybe you can find a willing "mule" to carry your tank and inflated bcd into water deep enough to donn it easily.

I have an extra pair of heavy soled boots. Fit about an 8 1/2-9 size foot. I call them my 'Bonnie Booties' because I bought them just for Bonaire. 3rd time diving there. Money well spent. Figure I'd throw my extra pair in my luggage just in case someone could use them. If they fit, just hit me up and they're yours to use. I'll be at the bar with a Mojito in my hand.

@Starzz Thanks so much! I really appreciate it.. hopefully I will have something by then.. I do have soft soled booties, but apparently they won't be enough.. gaaah.. I'm a barefooter and can handle most surfaces with minimal support/protection..

@Starzz Thanks so much! I really appreciate it.. hopefully I will have something by then.. I do have soft soled booties, but apparently they won't be enough.. gaaah.. I'm a barefooter and can handle most surfaces with minimal support/protection..
please open YouTube and search for Diving Bonaire. There are several videos showing entry/exit for shore dive sites. I will say 90% of Bonaire shore dives are rock entry, and even with boots you may get hurt. Here a simple example.

Back
Top Bottom