Scubaboard selling/giving away our email addresses now?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got it too....... If SB didn't give it to him, then I'm cool.... But how'd he get it?

almitywife:
i got it and yes, made me decide then and there never to buy from this company.

deleted email and set up my system to block him in futre.

Yep, added him to my "I'll never even consider buying a product from this company" list.

I believe that this would fall under the "can spam" law, especially if the email addresses were stolen. Federal charges could be applicable...

I didn't think that scubaboard would do such a thing. Thanks for looking into this Andy.

I got it too. Almost missed it because it was caught by my spam filter.

Hmm -- are these folks a paid advertiser on SB?
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=109977
Throws up a big Nocturnal Lights ad at the top.
Nothing in profiles allows control of receiving third party ads -- I hope this is a "whoops", as in NL somehow got data they weren't supposed to have, something correctable.
?????

I didn't get anything and my email address is right in my sig.

Terry

MtnDiver:
I feel that this is going a little too far!

I just received a direct email advertisement on my personal email account from a company I see occasionally posting adversising in the formums here. The advertisement was addressed to "Scubaboard Members".

I'm not sure if this is a "sanctioned" mailing or not, but I'm not very happy about my email address being freely given out to third parties. If this was done with the blessings of scubaboard.com, it needs to stop. If not, I think that the person responsible should have their board membership revoked.

The profile setting says "Receive Newsletters & Thread Alerts via Email" not "Please give out my email address to third parties so that they can send me advertising".

What is the deal here? If the powers that be want to see a copy of the email, I'll be happy to forward it to them.

Terry -- the down side is that this should not be happening. If "restricted" e-mail addresses have gone to a third party, has anything else been compromised?

Web Monkey:
I didn't get anything and my email address is right in my sig.

Terry
You weren't found worthy of being enlightened :wink:

Count me in too. Just got the email from nocturnallights.
Added to blocked senders and deleted. Solved that problem but still brings up the question.... How did he get the scuba board mailing list???
I also would ask what is going to be done about this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom