ScubaLife BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_Dad

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I received my ScubaLife BC today for being a member of ScubaLife. Here are my first impression of it.

1) It feels like it was ma
de from high quality material.
2) The cummerbund fits me, but it's big and not adjustable. (at least the adjustment did not look obvious)
3) It could use some additional D-Rings. I love D-Rings.
4) Weigh integration release is interesting. Dumping the weights will be easy for the owner, but the buddy will have a hard time figuring it out.
5) I like the female clips on the bottom of the BCD. I can add things to attach.
6) It lacks pockets. I love pockets.
7) Only has two dumps. Left shoulder (BCD Hose) and lower right back side. I like having a dump on the right shoulder.
8) Two tank cam bands. That's a good thing.
9) It feels a lot lighter than my Zeagle Stiletto.

I'm starting an O/W class on Monday, so I'll take it in the pool on Tuesday to see how it feels.

It definitely feels like it is a quality piece of equipment. I'm looking forward to diving with it.

Al

I used it in the pool tonight. It is comfortable, but I'm amazed how large the cummerbund is. It's almost too big.

It doesn't have any trim weight pockets. That's a disadvantage.

The velcro straps that hold down the bcd inflator are loose behind the shoulder strap. I'm afraid I'll eventually lose them.

The BC is very light weight. It's probably the BC I take to the Invasion of Coz next year. Nice travel BC...

After teaching an entire O/W class with the ScubaLife BC, I'll give you my honest opinion of the SeaLife BCD... Now remember, my baseline is the Zeagle Stiletto.

Good points: (I'm an instructor, I have to start off with the positives)
Very well made. Material looks very durable.
Very comfortable. Almost as comfortable as my Zeagle, but much more comfortable than my ScubaPro Knighthawk.
Very good fit. It's very secure, and the tank doesn't wobble like my ScubaPro.
Very lightweight. Much lighter than my Zeagle, and it will probably my BCD of choice for traveling.
Two tank bands.
I like the female clips on the bottom of the BCD. I can add things to attach.

Negatives:
No pockets. I did email ScubaLife, because there's a thigh pocket on the website. (I didn't get it)
No trim weights. The one on the website appeared to have some kind of weight pockets that could be trim weights.
D-Rings are lacking. Additional D-Rings would be nice.
Cummerbund is HUGE.. or.. long. I know I have a lot of belly to go around, but... it's almost too big.
Cummerbund cannot be adjusted. (That's a nice option on the Zeagle)
No right shoulder dump. I complained about that on my standard Zeagle Stiletto. Now I have the Stiletto LTD, and I love my right shoulder dump.
Feels slightly more buoyant than my Stiletto.
The velcro loops that hold down the BC inflator and the one on the right shoulder are just slipped behind the strap. I'm going to lose them. It's just a matter of time...

Even though my list of negatives is longer than the positives... most of the negatives are nits...

Overall... the ScubaLife BCD is more comfortable than 95% of the recreational BCDs I've used. It comes real close to the Zeagle in comfort. Price wise... it's less expensive than the Zeagle. I'm going to get a lot of use out of it... I hope NASE and ScubaLife see my comments and use my comments to build an improved version of the ScubaLife BCD.

Elena... I'm probably going to take my ScubaLife BCD to the 2012 Invasion.

Al

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom