ScubaMax Regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaAl

Contributor
Reaction score
I have been thinking about getting a new regulator for some time now. Looked at SP and Apeks (have both). Thought about may be DiveRite also.
Did some reading here on Scubaboard.com and TDS saw the ScubaMax brand mentioned. Having not heard of the brand before I was a bit skeptical.
Throwing caution to the wind I ordered the ScubaMax RG-1008DIN/XR2002 combination from Discount Scuba Gear - Scuba Equipment Online - Discount Scuba Equipment
Dove the regulator this past Saturday. Lake Superior, 42dergee water, reg worked great. I could tell no difference between the Scubamax and my other regulators.
Just thought I'd let people know.

Later, Al

I have been thinking about getting a new regulator for some time now. Looked at SP and Apeks (have both). Thought about may be DiveRite also.
Did some reading here on Scubaboard.com and TDS saw the ScubaMax brand mentioned. Having not heard of the brand before I was a bit skeptical.
Throwing caution to the wind I ordered the ScubaMax RG-1008DIN/XR2002 combination from Discount Scuba Gear - Scuba Equipment Online - Discount Scuba Equipment
Dove the regulator this past Saturday. Lake Superior, 42dergee water, reg worked great. I could tell no difference between the Scubamax and my other regulators.
Just thought I'd let people know.

Later, Al

Wait till you have to get annual/repairs...Most LDS will not touch it..

Annual repairs are not a problem. There are over 900 ScubaMax dealers in the US. That regulator is made by Ocean Divers Supply Tiawan, an OEM manufacturer for a number of companies whose representatives are active on this board. They are plenty easy to get repaired. In fact, it is the same regulator as several "name" brands.

Most local dive stores won't do ANYTHING if you haven't demonstrated perfect loyality. Of course, attrition is quickly changing that. THanks.

Phil Ellis

I do my own service. So I see no problem. The last time a LDS did service work for me, the mouth piece came off in my mouth underwater(no tie wrap). Another regulator with DIN adapter not torqued so leaked. Third regulator free flowed. So what will I be missing?
Al

Annual repairs are not a problem. There are over 900 ScubaMax dealers in the US. That regulator is made by Ocean Divers Supply Tiawan, an OEM manufacturer for a number of companies whose representatives are active on this board. They are plenty easy to get repaired. In fact, it is the same regulator as several "name" brands.

Most local dive stores won't do ANYTHING if you haven't demonstrated perfect loyality. Of course, attrition is quickly changing that. THanks.

Phil Ellis

Hello Phil,

This is great information, but I ask you (anyone actually) to go just a bit further, if you can, and post a list of regulators that are made by Ocean Divers Supply and other manufacturers who build for most of the industry. There certainly can not be that many. I ask this not only for those who are interested in getting a good deal on a new regulator, but for the many of us who still want to dive with our 20+ year old tried and true chrome plated brass works of art.

A while back, I requested a sticky to address this issue http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/176630-request-sticky-clone-list.html#post2647437, but I was not taken up on it.

I have mostly SP and I know that TUSA makes their parts, but I do not know which models have interchangeable parts.

Thank you,

couv

You can tell just by looking at several brands. For instance, DiveRite, Salvo, Oxychek, Sea Elite, ScubaMax, and ProMate are obviously the same. There may be others that I have not seen yet. I do wonder if Ocean Divers Supply Tiawan makes different style regulators as OEM for others.

Phil Ellis

Thanks for chiming in Phil. It continues to be refreshing to have an honest, open voice amongst retailers who will call a spade a spade.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom