Scubapro 108/109

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Wuku ,

These were around long before any Plastic/Fantastic regulators and will still be around when the latter are in the recycle bin.
IMG_1348.JPG

I've amassed a modest pile of 109 seconds, all sourced from freshwater locations, and all with little to no wear..... Yep, they are made to last....

My first single hose regulator set was a 109 and a Mk5, bought in 1972. I still have both, and on occasion dive with them. I upgraded the 109 to balanced adjustable many years ago, very easy to do. The old Mk5 has only two LP ports on a swivel, and one HP port. I use the combo very seldom, and only for shallow solo dives since there is no port for another second when the BC is attached. The HP port is too small for current SPGs, but there is a fitting that converts the HP port to modern specs. I converted the Mk5 to DIN with a Scubapro kit made for that regulator. Both units have survived for a half-century quite nicely, and though I now dive mostly with a Mk10 and a G250 Graphite or D350, I still enjoy taking my old friends into the water once or twice a year. As far as performance goes, I notice very little difference, and I use steel HP tanks (3440) with no problem. Needless to say, I do all my own work on the regs. Except when on vacation, I dive only in summer ( I'm shockingly old) when local waters are warm enough for my 2.5mm suit, so on many a winters evening I take everything apart, replace parts that still look fine, and use a degree of care and cleanliness that might be considered excessive by NASA.

If the craziness makes you happy then go for it! It's kind of like being a "Dork Diver" but in vintage chrome.

Those are beautiful BA's...I'm drooling.

I showed up to a scubapro test day with my mk5 + balanced adjustables. The rep told me I HAD to try the g260 with the mk25 because it would change my life.

The only thing it made me realise is that you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a reg from the 80's and now if they aren't tuned to the edge. Because my mk5 + upgraded 109 breathed better than what they gave me.

Only thing that is very important to people wanting to dive mk5's and 109's:
Be careful of metal fatigue or brass fatigue. Back in the day scubapro used brass turret bolts which are prone to breakage when overtorqued. I've also had some screws snap like twigs on the second stages.
Since alot of home-diy-reg guys don't even use torque wrenches it's a recipe for disaster.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom