Scubapro 109 Corrosion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ozziworld

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
My 109 seem to develop this green corrosion on each use. I keep it at bay by removing the covers and cleaning them with a brush after each use. Is this a common experience with chrome regs of this age? I did not notice this on my Conshelfs and other 109s.

Is there anything I can do to minimize this from happening?

94JbFvDeIj6qrH3t2Kg_d5Z-pcVBs3_yWlAQ9lc34r4=w1237-h935-no

yqsyrYGwtnJBgkVMBA9ExFEHE6gzDxjZL3dCcGreEgc=w682-h936-no

AQWCuBYhST7o5yb-SH3gfq0WoInHxbXMRm78a9Lf9y4=w678-h935-no

65sZMeAcQ01fIBmZONK7HIbgirdZGaH_P8ott3F-H-E=w1663-h935-no

I think this is verdigris, not corrosion. It forms where the chrome plate is vanishingly thin, exposing some underlying brass. It's basically the same stuff that turns the Statue of Liberty green. Vinegar on a soft cloth will remove it easily. Rinse well. Nothing to worry about. Some of these 109s are pushing a half-century by now.

I have several of these little gems; some have been overcleaned, exposing brass. Function is in no way affected. Some people get them rechromed, but this is strictly for aesthetics.

Be careful with too much cleaning. The more you clean, the more you also remove chrome.

Most of us use vinegar, but be aware that if it is overused (or left in it too long) it does attack the chrome. It should be used for short periods of time (about 5 minutes) and not very often.

That verdigris doesn't affect function.

Ultra sound will also remove chrome.

The only real solution is to re-chrome the parts. I would not worry to much about it at this point. But if it is a regulator you love, I can see a new chrome finish in your future.

N

Rather than cleaning it after it happens, prevent the verdigris formation with a good soak in clean FW, not just a rinse; and a thorough drying . If the salt is removed, it will not form.

Back
Top Bottom