Scubapro A700, S600, or G260

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

azmodan50

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I'm going to be buying a new second stage soon. I currently have a G250V and I'll be getting either an A700, S600, or G260.

Any opinions or preferences?

I prefer the light weight of the S600, I would love to own a G260 thou.

You're not going to do any better than that G250V. The A700 is nice and compact, but doesn't breath any better. The S600 is on my warm water travel rig, for its light weight, but breathes just slightly less easily than the other two. The G260 is nominally the same as the G250V, but with different cosmetics, so there you are.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just to clarify, I'm not getting rid of my G250V. I will be purchasing another 2nd stage.

And for a little more info, I live in the north east. The water temperature rarely gets much over 80 degrees (mostly 70s in the summer) and gets down in the 30s in the winter. Each 2nd stage I listed has at least one feature I really like, some are performance and some are cosmetic. Performance is the most important factor to me. If I could take the cold water performance of the A700 and combine that with the weight of the S600 and the looks of the G260, I would have the perfect regulator.

If the S600 and the G260 have the same or close to the same cold water performance as the A700, then I would go with one of those because the weight and looks of the A700 are drawbacks for me.

I know that everyone has different opinions and preferences, and don't expect to get "This is the only choice" response. Just looking for some info from people that have some experience with these regs.

A G250v primary with the S600 bungied under your chin is a nice set-up (essentially what I dive). The S600 is a compact, and very good performing second. Honestly, I'm not really feeling a difference between my BA156, G250v, or S600. According to the physics, the larger diaphragm of the G260/G250v (or BA156) should make it easier.

Don't know a thing about the A700 as I have had no reason to explore them due to owning the models I do.

Good luck, not a bad decision any way you go. Get the one that is the best deal.

I'm going to be buying a new second stage soon. I currently have a G250V and I'll be getting either an A700, S600, or G260.

Any opinions or preferences?
Excellent question! It is the same question that one of my service techs and I have been debating, except we included the S560.

I just did 4 dives with the new black tech MK25/A700 & the black tech MK25/S600 this weekend. I did 20 plus dives with a G260 tactical in Feb. I have tons of dives with the S600. I have experienced the MK21/S560 on about 20 dives.
Disclosure:
Yes, I do sell all of these Scubapro regs. I believe it is part of my job to test/dive these regs :D in challenging conditions all over the world. I have been diving a Scubapro reg. for 42 years starting with a MK5/Adj ( 109 ). I use all of these regs in training, rental and demo.

The spec on all of these 2nd stages is the same 1.1 - 1.3 inches of water regardless of the material that they are made. However, the way they breath & feel may be different. Size, design and material affect these different regs. Titanium, metal or
techno-polymer barrels affect the weight and cold water performance.

I am still working over which I prefer, but it is nice to have so many great choices.

For what its worth, the A700 will be filled with air while under water so it wont feel heavy in your mouth. But the always seem to breath a little stiffer than the s600 or the g260. I am a big fan of the g260 and have been diving on one since it came out. It replaced my g250 I was using before. But of all 3 the s600 always seems to hold an easier breathing tune for longer. But the g260 has more metal parts, like the adjustment knob which makes me favor it over the s600.

For what its worth, the A700 will be filled with air while under water so it wont feel heavy in your mouth. But the always seem to breath a little stiffer than the s600 or the g260. I am a big fan of the g260 and have been diving on one since it came out. It replaced my g250 I was using before. But of all 3 the s600 always seems to hold an easier breathing tune for longer. But the g260 has more metal parts, like the adjustment knob which makes me favor it over the s600.

Do you do any cold water diving?

Yeah quite a bit in the high 30s and low 40s.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom